2011 Macbook Pro won't turn on

Feb 19, 2018
Hi, I've got 2011 Macbook Pro that doesn't want to turn on. I've had it turn on a few times, and work like normal. Funny thing is once it turns off it generally won't come back on except by chance.

I've tried all the resets, and tried it with every ram/slot combination. I've also tried it with ram I know worked in other laptops. I've disconnected the battery and held the power button to drain the capacitors, all to no avail.

I am trying to get this working for a friend, as they don't have the money to send it to Apple. Any advice or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance for any help or advice!!!

Solution
Has it ever had liquid spilled on it? Since the power button is attached to the keyboard, often that will act strangely if the MacBook has seen liquid.
There is a way to turn on the MacBook by connecting 2 solder points on the logic board with a paper clip and if it starts up then it is most likely a bad keyboard/power button. I used to have a link to a site that shows you where those points are on the MacBook based on year and can provide it if you think you might want to attempt it. You will have to remove the bottom of the MacBook though, which is easy.

BadAsAl

Distinguished
Has it ever had liquid spilled on it? Since the power button is attached to the keyboard, often that will act strangely if the MacBook has seen liquid.
There is a way to turn on the MacBook by connecting 2 solder points on the logic board with a paper clip and if it starts up then it is most likely a bad keyboard/power button. I used to have a link to a site that shows you where those points are on the MacBook based on year and can provide it if you think you might want to attempt it. You will have to remove the bottom of the MacBook though, which is easy.

Solution