Macbook Pro (Early 2015) vs Latest 2016 Touchbar both 13'

swoo

Estimable
Sep 2, 2014
Hello all,

I have seena few threads about this but not specific enough to what I am hoping to be answered. This is more of a discussion as most replies will probably be opinionated but that is fine! Anyway, I bought a Macbook Pro 13' (Early 2015) before the announced the revamp for 2016. I was upgrading from an early 2011 model and got a great deal by mistake (a buddy at BestBuy was giving discounts on the latest models mistakenly instead of the previous 2014 model that they were trying to sell the leftover stock from. Yes I told him about the mistake, he just noted that he had already comped the price 2 other times that day and what the heck). So as you could guess, I am really infatuated with the latest 2016 model equipped with touchbar. To be specific I am looking at the base model 13' with touchbar, and I currently have the base model 13' macbook pro with the 250 gb hard drive. I should mention caveat, my mother is looking to buy a laptop and I mentioned that I would sell her mine for $600 (way under value I know but it's mom ya' know?). With that in mind, I could get the latest model for roughly $1100 (I work for a university and qualify for a discount with a university email).

Thoughts?

Solution

CelicaGT

Honorable
Jul 22, 2013

Personally not sold on the touchbar, but my use case isn't yours....my Mac is the bum-around-the-house secondary computer, great for imessage, browsing, banking etc etc while my main rig is conquering worlds or rendering video. Still looks like a good deal however, I just can't believe you'd SELL a computer to the woman who fed you, cuddled you, and wiped your bum....I mean this as a joke of course, who could resist XD

jaslion

Honorable
Dec 17, 2012

Does your mac 2015 still do what it needs to do fast and nice? If the answer is yes then no replacement needed. If the answer is no then the 13 inch won't be much better. the touchbar doesn't do much at all and is more of a sales gimmick at the moment. You aren't missing much if anything at all.

Solution

zahnib

Prominent
Mar 29, 2017
As jaslion said if you're happy with what you've got then stick with it. If it's only the touch bar that you're lacking for I would say at this point it isn't worth it. TouchID is nice and probably the only really useful feature but typing your passwords isn't THAT bad :)
Otherwise go into a store and just play around with it, see if it's something you can really see yourself using and enjoying.