MacBook vs Microsoft Surface Pro 3

Ace251091

Estimable
May 12, 2014
I am currently in my 2nd year studying Computer Science in the UK. I still have another year to go and most probably will do a Masters Degree in Marketing. I want to change my laptop. I currently own a Samsung Ativ Book 9 Lite 13 inch. It's not a very powerful laptop but it's thin and light so that is my primary concern before buying my next machine. I want it to be 13.3 inches and be thin and light. The problem with my current laptop is that it has performance hiccups and the AMD cpu feels sluggish. I was interested to switch to a MacBook Pro Retina 13 inch now that Apple dropped their prices £100 down in the UK. With the student discount I could get it for £850 (base model). However with the recent release of the Surface Pro 3 I am in a big dilemma. I've read article after article and review after review for both machines and it seems that the MacBook is a clear winner in terms of almost everything(even in OS since you can use a Virtual Machine and run both OSX and Windows). However I am still intrigued by the flexibility I could get with a Surface Pro 3(touchscreen, surface pen,detachable keyboard and generally weight and thinness). I was wondering if anyone has any of the two machines and could offer some insight, maybe some advantages or disadvantages of each machine from a user's perspective ?

To wrap things up:

Looking for a machine that can handle everyday tasks and perhaps some advanced applications (light 3D Rendering, and Android Studio, Netbeans etc). Dont care about operating system since I can run both on a MacBook and Surface already has Windows so it's a win-win no matter which machine I choose.

MacBook Pro Retina 13(base model) Student Price: £850
Surface Pro 3 i5,128 GB SSD,4GB RAM Student Price: £865

Solution
Ace,
I have run both now. You need to determine what your needs are. Some say the app gap between Apple and MS is great with Apple winning. MS is purportedly coming out with an OS which would unify their ecosystem (we shall see next month). Both are light and both are capable machines. If you asked me 6 years ago I would hands down tell you Apple. I used to own everything Apple, but that was when their stock was under $20 a share, they were the underdog. MS is the underdog now though. You need to go to the Apple store and MS store and take them for test rides, kick the tires, run them through their paces. Pick the machine that is right for you.

For me, I loved my much maligned surface 2-people bad mouthed it without knowing...

poojay01

Estimable
Sep 24, 2014
Ace,
I have run both now. You need to determine what your needs are. Some say the app gap between Apple and MS is great with Apple winning. MS is purportedly coming out with an OS which would unify their ecosystem (we shall see next month). Both are light and both are capable machines. If you asked me 6 years ago I would hands down tell you Apple. I used to own everything Apple, but that was when their stock was under $20 a share, they were the underdog. MS is the underdog now though. You need to go to the Apple store and MS store and take them for test rides, kick the tires, run them through their paces. Pick the machine that is right for you.

For me, I loved my much maligned surface 2-people bad mouthed it without knowing it. I love my Surface 3 even more. It does everything for me. I use it at work and at home-one machine capable for both environments. It has a big screen and its a touch screen to boot. The OS is way ahead of its time. They built the damn thing before there was wide proliferation of touch screen computers. That is why nobody understood the OS. MS is great at R & D, Apple is great at monetizing.

You decide. Most will blindly tell you Apple-don't listen to anyone-even me. Make the decision for YOURSELF. Good luck!

My Surface 3 was $799 plus keyboard. If you have recently graduated or know someone who graduated you can probably get it for $699.

Solution

Ace251091

Estimable
May 12, 2014

Hey thanks for the quick reply. Must say your answer was quite philosophical :) By the way which surface pro 3 have you got? Is it the entry level one (i3,64GB SSD, 4GB RAM) ?