MacBook white screen of death?

I have a Late 2011 MacBook Pro running the latest version of Mac OS. The problem is that after I log-in and after the progress bar moves some the screen goes white and I can't do a thing but force a shut down using the power button.

I've tried booting into safe mode and still a white screen. I've tried the internet recovery option and still a white screen after is processes the recovery.

Any suggestions?

Just in case it is important: There have been no recent hardware changes, no new software installed and no recent (needed) updates.

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
This sounds like a possible hardware failure, internet recovery working would have indicated OS issue.

Most likely failure occurs when full video driver is loaded and hardware is utilized at a higher level.

Have you tried to reset the pram and/or smc? (though I have doubts it would help)

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Well good luck.
I would also try to boot a different version of MacOS as well as maybe a windows install disc. Although that might not tell you too much since it would not load the driver for video until you actually install windows and the driver.

Thank you for the suggestions. I will try different things and report back what I've tried and if anything worked.

Update 1: I am currently running the Hardware Tests (extended) to see if the test will reveal the fault in the system. I will post when I know more.

Update 2: The AHT returned the following - 4MEM/66/40000000 0x84863218
I tried each stick of RAM in both slots (one stick at a time) and with one stick it goes to a white screen after logging in. With the other stick (in either slot) it hangs on the progress bar after logging in.

Update 3: Put back in the original RAM that came with the MacBook and this time the AHT found no problems but it still goes to a white screen after the log-in. I have an appointment to get it checked out on Saturday. I will make a final post to this thread after I hear what the problem is.

nzalog

Commendable
Jan 2, 2017
Don't know how handy or technical you are but if you're up for it you can always try to reflow whatever chip is responsible for the video.

Since you're board is basically toast you've got nothing to lose.