MacBookPro 2015 15inch - graphics for architects

Mar 13, 2018
Hi there,

I am about to start my architecture master and since my old Dell Inspiron 15 (which I liked a lot for a while) has been getting slower and slower and is just about to die fully I am now looking into MacBook Pros as many of my friends have been on about how much sturdier and faster they are but also about better graphics...
So; my old dell (spring 2014) had an nvidia gt750m and as I know rather little about graphics I have been trying to read up on that. I don't really trust the inbuilt Iris pro that macbooks now come with... should I ? It seems though, if understand correctly, that apple stopped putting iris pro + nvidia in their mac books in 2013. Am I correct..? And now: what about the new radeon ?
So, I am using my laptop a lot, putting it through cad programmes, adobe suite (illustrator, indesign, photoshop mainly, very little video editing but who knows ?), 3d modelling (rhino etc) and all the ususal stuff... A lot of the time, all of this at once.
Anyone have experience with this? Which model would you suggest (also keeping in mind that I am a student so 2015 is probably the latest I will be able to afford) ?

Many thanks in advance :)

PS: Since in many forums this is a question that come up... No, I don't do any gaming ;)

Solution
First off, are you okay with the Mac OS? MacBooks work differently than Windows systems in many, many ways. ...or do you plan to dual-boot Windows on it? The newer 15-in Pros with the Radeon Pro graphics are very good so you shouldn't have any issues there.
I know you said money is tight but it looks like you'll be using some CPU/Mem/HD intensive programs. You won't want to scrimp on your purchase (whether it be Apple or Windows). Look for minimum - i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, discrete graphics.
Better to spend a good amount now, treat it like gold, and have it last 3-4+ years than be frustrated with a slow computer right from the start.

alceryes

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2004
First off, are you okay with the Mac OS? MacBooks work differently than Windows systems in many, many ways. ...or do you plan to dual-boot Windows on it? The newer 15-in Pros with the Radeon Pro graphics are very good so you shouldn't have any issues there.
I know you said money is tight but it looks like you'll be using some CPU/Mem/HD intensive programs. You won't want to scrimp on your purchase (whether it be Apple or Windows). Look for minimum - i7, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD, discrete graphics.
Better to spend a good amount now, treat it like gold, and have it last 3-4+ years than be frustrated with a slow computer right from the start.

Solution