MacWorld '09; Apple's Final Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Kinda sad to still be comparing Mac softare to Aldus Pagemaker, are we to believe there have been no significant Mac software titles since then? Hmm.... actually, now that I think about it, I guess there really haven't been any.

What was the last great Mac-only software to hit PCs? Surely not Safari, can't really imagine too many people were really hoping for that one to hit Windows. iTunes? No. The only people using iTunes on Windows are iPod owners. Quicktime? Talk about a crappy media player.

I guess this is why Apple likes to consider themselves a Hardware company, cause their software truly is insignificant.

cybrcatter

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Software upgrades with marginal improvements. Ipods with slightly rounded edges.
How DO the guys at apple keep coming up with new, creative, and innovative ideas every year?
:p

G

From article:
Apple will offer three pricing tiers: $.069, .099, and 1.29.

7 and 10 cent songs??? wow....

voidrunner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
Am I the only one who things it's retarded that Apple _is not_ going to be coming to further MacWorld Expos? I imagine that if Intel were to say they wont be present at IDF or Microsoft pulling out from WinHEC people would scratch their heads and wonder what kind of disarray the companies must be in to do something like that...

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I guess this is why Apple likes to consider themselves a Hardware company, cause their software truly is insignificant.

Actually, Apple has said repeatedly that it considers itself a software company that also makes hardware to run it on, but that's beside the point.

What about software like Aperture, Final Cut Studio, Shake, Logic Pro, etc? They are all very widely used by professionals in their respective fields. Just because software is not ported to the PC doesn't mean its insignificant. Also, these software titles are part of the reason why Macs are so disproportionately popular in these fields, why would Apple port them to the PC?

The only people using iTunes on Windows are iPod owners.

Maybe, but considering Apple's 70+% share of the MP3 player market, thats a LOT of people. Besides, thats almost like saying the only people using Halo, etc are Xbox owners. Does that make Halo less significant? Is Microsoft going to port it to Wii (which has higher market share)? No.

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Am I the only one who things it's retarded that Apple _is not_ going to be coming to further MacWorld Expos? I imagine that if Intel were to say they wont be present at IDF or Microsoft pulling out from WinHEC people would scratch their heads and wonder what kind of disarray the companies must be in to do something like that...

Possibly, but unlike those, Apple does not run MacWorld, or have too much control over it at all. So, they could A continue to throw tons of money at and adjust their entire product schedule around a trade show, or B do like they've been doing more and more lately and simply say "we have a new product" and tons of journalists instantly fly to cupertino to cover it. Also, IDF is more the equivalent of Apple's WWDC, which is still going strong.

This is actually part of an ongoing trend among vendors of pulling out of trade shows. Apple isn't the only one, Adobe and many others are also leaving Macworld, NAB, etc. Its just not very cost effective, especially in the days of the internet. Companies very rarely even break even on trade shows, and the weakened economy isn't going to help matters.

I'm not saying I entirely agree with the decision, but it does make since from a business standpoint.

voidrunner

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2006
[citation][nom]Anthony20022[/nom]Possibly, but unlike those, Apple does not run MacWorld, or have too much control over it at all.[/citation]
Perhaps I'm just a boneheaded pc user, but if not for apple's aggressive (aggressive enough to make piranhas seem like manatees) marketing, they wouldn't have such a religiously-devoted userbase. The majority of software also comes from Apple. Whenever I ask a regular mac user what he uses on his mac, he/she'll list all the different apple/adobe-made apps ... and firefox.
I'm just thinking that if apple won't be present to advertise yet another version of iphoto/itunes/iwhatever what will be the point of the expo? advertise the new claris works? showcase a 2-button mouse and claim that it's a brand new invention?

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
...what will be the point of the expo?

While its true Apple was the 'anchor' of the expo and made the keynote speech, there is much more. Lots of software/hardware companies attend and many make big announcements at macworld. Its almost like CES, but based around the mac.

You can go here to see some of the other non-Apple things at the expo:
http://www.macworldexpo.com/

...or here to see a lot of the non-Apple new products, etc. coming out of the expo:
http://www.macworld.com/

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Kinda sad to still be comparing Mac softare to Aldus Pagemaker, are we to believe there have been no significant Mac software titles since then? Hmm.... actually, now that I think about it, I guess there really haven't been any.What was the last great Mac-only software to hit PCs? Surely not Safari, can't really imagine too many people were really hoping for that one to hit Windows. iTunes? No. The only people using iTunes on Windows are iPod owners. Quicktime? Talk about a crappy media player. I guess this is why Apple likes to consider themselves a Hardware company, cause their software truly is insignificant.[/citation]
I use iTunes on Windows and I don't have an iPod.

Anthony20022

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
I can't believe that anyone would actually wish for someone else to die for such a petty reason. What has Apple ever done to you? If you don't like them, ignore them.

Status
Not open for further replies.