Making 5.1 sound bar main output

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Hello!

I recently bought my first sound system, a 5.1 surround sound from vizio. I also have a samsung 6300. I got the surround sound to work (plugged it into the ARC hdmi and pressed input on the sound bar until it matched up) easy peasy. So the smart tv apps are producing sound, and outputting through the sound bar. But then I plug in my Nintendo Switch (into HDMI2). I tried switching the input on the sound bar, no sound. I am able turn off the sound bar and hear the Nintendo's sound through my tv speakers, but don't understand how to get all my inputs into the tv, output through the sound bar.

Please help me! thank you!

I think your setup is the issue here.... can you specify exactly how you're connected between the TV/Soundbar/Cable/Consoles etc?

ARC is an Audio Return Channel, so you could go CableBox-Soundbar and then ARC connections from the Soundbar to the TV. Sends display via the cable, and returns the Audio via the same cable to the soundbar.

With multiple (potential) HDMI inputs to the TV, I'd suggest HDMI-TV directly from each (or via a switch) and Toslink from the TV to the Soundbar....

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Sorry I'm so new to this world I'll have to re-read that a few times when I'm home to digest it.
Right now I have only a Nintendo Switch, and then built in apps from the TV (Netflix Hulu Amazon, etc). I simply plugged my sound bar into the arc port of the tv when it just me using the TV for the built in apps. Then I bought a Nintendo Switch, which uses an HDMI, plugged that into HDMI 2 on the TV and the sound bar doesn't output anything for the switch.

I'll try to tinker around with what you said when I get home, thank you.

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
Sorry I'm so new to this world I'll have to re-read that a few times when I'm home to digest it.
Right now I have only a Nintendo Switch, and then built in apps from the TV (Netflix Hulu Amazon, etc). I simply plugged my sound bar into the arc port of the tv when it just me using the TV for the built in apps. Then I bought a Nintendo Switch, which uses an HDMI, plugged that into HDMI 2 on the TV and the sound bar doesn't output anything for the switch.

I'll try to tinker around with what you said when I get home, thank you.

Sorry, maybe I'm not explaining too clearly.

Because of the way you're set up - the ARC capabilities aren't being fully utilized.

When you're using the apps on the TV, the TV can send audio down the HDMI (#1) cable to the soundbar.

When you're using HDMI #2, there's no "link" to HDMI #1 that you're trying to send Audio through.

You could run your Switch to the soundbar (assuming it has both HDMI in & out).
Switch to HDMI "in" on soundbar
Soundbar to TV from the "out" on the soundbar.

That would achieve what you want, as you only have the one device (+ TV apps).
IF you were to add another device (cable, console etc) then it wouldn't work.

With Toslink, everything can go to the TV and whatever audio is being output will be sent to the soundbar via Toslink - that's the easiest solution.

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
EDIT: I figured it out. I had removed the hdmi from the arc port in the tv to HDMI 1 IN for some reason. I have it working now.

So what were you saying is the solution when I want to start adding more systems to this type of thing?

I got it to work! Kinda.
So I plugged the switch into the sound bar and sound bar into the tv and the switch played through the 5.1! but...
Now when I switch back to Netflix on the TV app, no audio is played. How can I have it switch audio for me automatically? or at least let's figure out why no matter what input I choose on the receiver the TV Netflix app is now not playing sound.

Shawn Dunmire

Honorable
Sep 25, 2013
https://www.vizio.com/sb4051c0.html

https://www.samsung.com/us/televisions-home-theater/tvs/4k-uhd-tvs/55--class-mu6300-4k-uhd-tv-un55mu6300fxza/

There are my items, sorry about that :)