making a leap- i5 4440. plz advise

kartikeys

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Grateful for all I have learned from this website. Pls advise me on the following:

Max aim: to edit canon 5d/7d videos

Considering buying: a desktop

- Intel i5 4440
- 8 GB RAM Kingston
- 1 tb internal hard drive Seagate

Will this processor- RAM be sufficient?

Warmly,
K

PS. Kindly advise on correct category to post. Could not find Desktop.

kartikeys

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Thank you for your response.

1. Would I face the problem of lag while editing? Especially if I have a few tracks of video and audio?

2 What are the upgrades I could consider in the future for speed and performance.

3 Do I need SSD if time/deadlines is not an issue. I am looking to save money.

Thank you.

For editing, focus on CPU upgrades like an i7. The SSD is completely unnecessary for performance unless you want faster boot times on your PC/programs. You won't face problems with lag, but obviously, it could lag while multi-tasking.

RAM is sufficient for now, but that's also another upgrade component. 16GBs will be ideal in the future!

kartikeys

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Thank you Jason. More RAM upgrades it will be in the future.
What I want to know is that if this processor is right for me and will last. Is it too minimum and will start lagging soon?

What kind of multitasking do you mean. Do you mean I can't have 2-4 tracks of audio video while editing? Or do you mean editing while surfing (or photo shopping for instance).

Do tell.

You can, but it's hard to say the effect of multiple programs on your CPU. The i5 is fine since its a Quad-core, its definitely a great entry-level processor for video-processing. If you have bigger budget, you should opt for the i5-4690K or i7-4790, but this should be fine for now.

Editing while surfing won't a problem. The problem might come when video editing and photo editing at the same time!

kartikeys

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Can't afford lagging while editing. While not multitasking with programs, can I edit multiple audio video tracks on any editing software? Without lag?

Also, would this processor with higher (say 12 GB RAM) be a closer match to a higher processor?

Thanks for the answers. As you might have guessed, My focus is purely on editing. I will be mostly starting with H264 (MTS) Video files from a HD camcorder. And maybe edit 5D and 7D files later.

Edit: must mention I want to stay away from excess.

kartikeys

Estimable
Mar 13, 2015
Hi. Would be grateful for answers to the few questions in the previous post. Thanks for the answers so far.

The processor is Intel 3.1 GHz LGA 1150 i5 4440

Motherboard is Intel DH87RL 4th generation