Making Metal Origami From Sheet Metal

Status
Not open for further replies.

dxwarlock

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
this isnt new...they have been doing perforation folding for 10 years.
we used it a lot in the old machine shop with c&C mills to make the perforations.

my old VCR downstairs take the cover off its got that same thing on the folds.

kalogagatya

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]Wouldn't structural integrity be compromised quite severely?[/citation]

Yes it will. but it will depend on the geometry of the perforations. Some hole shapes will not concentrate stress enough to compromise its integrity that much:)

This is pretty usefull for a specific industry , where steel/aluminum bending is needed more (as an exclusive production process) than structural integrity. it will also allow a smaller machine a wider range of sheet thickness it can work with.

Probably the dificulties will lie on dimensional accuracy..

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
You can buy parts for automotive modifications made using this process- things such as parts for offroad applications. In fact the parts come cut out but not bent, so they basically ship flat. You bend them and weld them together yourself. In this instance, after the parts are bent you weld up all of the seams so most of the strength is restored.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I've seen companies distribute car crossmembers/bumpers/suspension like this where the sheets come perforated and all you do is fold and weld. Makes it cheaper. Nice to see it going into other areas of construction.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
[citation][nom]Clintonio[/nom]Wouldn't structural integrity be compromised quite severely?[/citation]

If more structural integrity is needed, one could always weld along the seems. However, the true strength I could see this kind of process have is in more accurate sheet metal prototypes, using smaller and cheaper bending machines.

Pyroflea

Distinguished
Mar 18, 2007
[citation][nom]redkachina[/nom]I would definitely want some origami-fold-your-own desktop pc case lol..[/citation]

That would be pretty cool, assuming they didn't gouge you with prices.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]redkachina[/nom]I would definitely want some origami-fold-your-own desktop pc case lol..[/citation]
Do you realize what you have just said?
Patent that, now!

micky_lund

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
epic idea... as anamaniac said, patent is needed

Status
Not open for further replies.