malware that opens new tabs?

kryptoniitti

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
i've been struggling with this problem for about two days now, and i can't seem to find the cause. at totally random times, chrome opens a tab or two and tries to take me to some address that starts with 'b.yu0123456'. for once it managed to load, and redirect to a site called 'additionalsearch.com'.

i've run scans with programs like malwarebytes, hitmanpro and adwcleaner but they don't detect anything. what can i do? i'm getting hopeless.

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Look at what programs are installed on Control panel,if there is something similar to the "Additionasearch.com" or a program you are not aware you need, remove it. it probably came bundled with some other software you downloaded.

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

While this may remove it from chrome, they're normally crafty buggers. So to actually remove the dubios "additionalsearch.com" i highly recommend you remove as much of it's data as you can through control panel/other software.

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

Look in task manager for aything out of the ordinary while running Chrome.

kryptoniitti

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

nothing weird, except youcam mirage which i recall disabling from startup... when i check the properties, it says it was created back in 2012 and it is located in lenovo's own folder in program files, however when i went to check this folder, inside it nothing was edited after 2012, but outside it claimed to be edited in 1.9.2016... does this only sound odd to me?

Commendable
Jun 29, 2016

You don't need youcam so you can remove it, but at the same time you won't gain much by removing it. Also this isn't anything to do with that other issue (AFAIK).

EDIT: i also found that lenovo are very sneaky with this Youcam Mirage program; it has its own scheduled task which runs it (You can disable this).

kryptoniitti

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016

alright then it's back to square one...

odebals

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
I started having this problem as well, since this morning. I found this solution/explanation however [1].
And what seems in my situation: I started using the desktop Spotify program again this morning since a long time.
I closed it now, and do not come across any new tabs anymore since. No idea on how to still keep on using Spotify without coming across the problem again though ...

[1] https://community.spotify.com/t5/Ongoing-Issues/Weird-Pop-Under-Advertisements/idi-p/1455117

MightyMarethyu

Commendable
Oct 4, 2016
Okay, so I got the same issue...
So what I've done is just uninstall Spotify and so far haven't had a popup...

I'll update this if something changes or if I find solution

5 days in
Okay so I haven't had a single popup since I've deleted Spotify so I guess that's the answer...

kryptoniitti

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
okay so for me the situation has been like this now: i'd tried finding suspicious stuff with the programs i listed in the first post, not finding a thing. then in one "removal guide" i found suggested ccleaner and i tried it and the problem was gone for three days. but just an hour ago it started again. really hit me in the face.

i've used desktop spotify for years, i've got w8.1 as my os. could that really be causing the problem? sounds weird.

and i do have adblock plus but it doesn't seem to work on these fellas.

RARRAF

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2007
well I did have a simular problem about 3-4 months back I do not know what it was I tried malewarebytes and my own bitdefender and could not come up with a solution myself and was very anoying. The ownly answer I came up with was delete google chrome and re-install it all my stuff is setup to my account and its worked fine ever since its a pain but worth it.

kryptoniitti

Commendable
Sep 29, 2016
you mean you just completely re-installed google chrome? yeah, i've tried that too. no positive results. just an angry little me.

i actually experimented this spotify thing. i let my computer be on for about 2 hours without launching absolutely anything. no popups. then i opened spotify and whaddya know, i turned my back for a bit and got three popups. i cannot confirm this theory though, because i used spotify on all of those three days and got nothing.

truejazz

Estimable
Mar 20, 2014

stan.e.johnson

Prominent
Oct 2, 2017
The problem is chrome.exe and the way this works if you are running chrome there is nothing you can do to permanently stop this. The easiest way to stop this is uninstall everything associated with chrome. Download and install Firefox or if you are on a Windows 10 machine edge browser is also not affected. Get the premium version of Malwarebytes which blocks the malicious URL and tab launch attack. In order for chrome to be a viable browser this defect must be corrected. Until this is fixed do not run chrome. It is not worth the risk. Many times in chrome this issue opens tabs with false websites that look real designed to trick you into stealing personal information or worse. You must tear down the entire house to be safe. You must uninstall chrome. Sorry about the bad news.