Malwarebytes + Avast as combo?

conormcgregor809

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017
Hi! I would like to know, if Malwarebytes + Avast is a good option? I have Avast, but since each one detects something different, I would like to know, if it's worth having Malwarebytes + Avast? Since Avast, is objective is to find Viruses and Malwarebytes to find Malware. I know, that actually all you need is common sense + firewall, and I have that. But just want to keep my computer, a little extra safe. So.. Would it be a good option to have Malwarebytes + Avast as a combo? If not, which one you prefer, and why? Thank you!

Solution
The FREE Malwarebytes is fine to use with Avast , don't use the new Premium with active protection as it's now an all in one protection suite , that will conflict with Avast.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015
While having two active scanners is usually a bad idea as it would weigh down on your disk activity, this combination will work just fine.

Malwarebytes is not an active scanner. It only scans when you hit to scan.

I actually recommend this combination to those that are seeking peace of mind on the internet.

weberdarren97

Estimable
Aug 10, 2015

So premium is an active scanner now?

Or was it always and I just never knew?

schwatzz

Estimable
Jun 23, 2014
What version of Windows are you using? You might want to use Security Essentials on Windows 7 which is pretty good now according to AVTest and Defender on 8.1 and up. Why? Well, apparently third party anti-virus can make your browser less secure, anti-virus themselves are becoming targets for infection because they have certain permissions.

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/01/antivirus-is-bad/

conormcgregor809

Prominent
Feb 16, 2017

What can I do, if I get the premium trial? :/ Had to uninstall the program, right away. Or can I leave it without a problem, until it expire? Without doing any scan, till the 13 days past. Can I do it this way?

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017

SR-71 is correct, you won't want to run two active scanning programs at once as this will definitely cause issues. There should be no problems running Malwarebytes as an on-demand scanner in conjunction with Avast as your primary antivirus, and is something many users choose to do!

Remember that Avast is designed to protect not only against "traditional" viruses, but malware, ransomware, and even new threats that have never been seen before. We do this with a combination of security layers, including behavioral analysis and AI. if you have any questions we're happy to help and thanks for using Avast :)