Malwarebytes for Android safe?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1579859
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1579859

May sound crazy, I installed Malwarebytes on my phone for the extra layer of security. Ran a scan, found nothing. I'm just wondering if it's something masking as Malwarebytes or am I just really paranoid? I was pretty close to running a factory reset. Also Malwarebytes isn't a verifed developer on Google Play so that got me worried a little.

Solution
You use your android device as an authenticator? Do you need that for work or something? In that case I understand your paranoia but like I said you are unlikely to get a virus if you keep the device up to date and use common sense. I would keep it off any open public wifi networks such as in the airport, restaurants, stores, etc sometimes people will go to an airport or anywhere with open wifi, setup their own wifi hotsport and set the SSID to a name that mimics the airports hotspot so people unknowingly connect to it thinking its the airports wifi and then they can wreak all sorts of havoc if they know what they are doing, if you were to get a virus thats probably how somebody would do it.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
Yes, you sound very paranoid. Malwarebytes is a highly trusted anti virus program, they probably just didn't pay google to get on there verified app list or whatever you have to do. What is making you think you have a virus?

D

Deleted member 1579859

I'm just very paranoid about this stuff is all. Thanks for the answer though.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014

No problem. You are very unlikely to get a virus on any android device if you are using a somewhat up to date version of android, even without anti virus.

D

Deleted member 1579859

Good to know.

Dunlop0078

Estimable
Herald
Feb 13, 2014
You use your android device as an authenticator? Do you need that for work or something? In that case I understand your paranoia but like I said you are unlikely to get a virus if you keep the device up to date and use common sense. I would keep it off any open public wifi networks such as in the airport, restaurants, stores, etc sometimes people will go to an airport or anywhere with open wifi, setup their own wifi hotsport and set the SSID to a name that mimics the airports hotspot so people unknowingly connect to it thinking its the airports wifi and then they can wreak all sorts of havoc if they know what they are doing, if you were to get a virus thats probably how somebody would do it.

Solution