Man Faces Jail for YouTube Video of State Trooper

Status
Not open for further replies.

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
the fact that he pulled his gun was so random. He pulled the gun just to identify himself as a state trooper then puts the gun away. Smile for the camera.

G

In holland it is ruled that videotaping is legal on public streets, even when told not to by police. That's what public means :)

Although intimidation from police officers often convinces people to turn the camera's off

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
You know what I think? This is ridiculous. Yes, he was speeding. But the state trooper did not follow proper guidelines in identifying himself. And now, wiretapping charges for something in a public place? This has gone too far.

If this was in Canada, this lack of identification alone would be ruled unconstitutional, based on my knowledge of the Criminal Code.

Dkz

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
Abuse the power that state gives you, worry not the state can take it back from you.
Protect and Serve Not Abuse.

decepticon

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2008
Granted the state trooper in plain clothes should be reprimanded for 'not following proper protocol", there was a state trooper behind him that was NOT in plain clothes. This asshat (the biker) should be arrested for complete disregard to traffic safety.

That being said, his helmet cam was rolling in a public place and he should not be prosecuted because of it. Unfortunately for him, it will be used against him in traffic court.

Ghaz

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
Oh dear America. In the UK the trooper would be the one in a lot of trouble. 16 years is the kind of time people get for raping and murdering, not accidentally videotaping someone jump out of a car with a gun at you. Seriously, what?

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
So, what about all those videos of cops whupping a$$ is in the case of Rodney King, or the Maryland student after their NCAA victory. In the former case, the cops pressed charges for assault, saying the student attacked a horse mounted officer, and you see the video tape the student come with in 10 feet of the cop or anyone else he was drunk of course, but he got a royal a$$ whupping from the cops, for no reason what so ever. Why aren't wiring tapping charges pressed in this case?

mtd324

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
From what I understand the video is not the issue here.
I think the "wire-tapping" is him recording audio without making it clear he is doing so.
You can record video anytime anywhere, audio is a different animal.
Either way, I'm pretty sure this isn't why this type of law was put in place.

This is the state of Maryland doing their best "Spilled hot coffee on my lap while driving so I'm suing McDonald's" frivolous lawsuit impression.

Also, the audio is not used out of context or maliciously.It is simply being used to show how bad this off-duty cop is at his job.
Even in a marked car with his uniform on the gun would be completely unnecessary. The fact that he was in an unmarked car and in plain clothes makes all the more upsetting.

By the way, thank you for volunteering your time to help make this country safe Mr Anthony Graber (Air National Guard Staff Sergeant). He does his part, now you do yours properly State of Maryland. Give him a traffic ticket for speeding, roughly 82 in a 65 (because there is no way you can use this illegal video against him). Then apologize for being retarded.

angryfingertips

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2009
It looked like the trooper was off duty, since he was not in uniform? From this video it does not appear that the officer did anything wrong and I see no reason why the video should be kept underwraps by the police. Nor should the driver be charged with taping in public.

The video clearly showed the guy was driving reckless speeds in traffic.

The older that I get the more I look by on things I did in my 20's and say to myself I'm lucky to be alive. One wrong move at 130 mph, could be your last. I know that any speed could be dangerous, but you smaller windows for error at higher speeds.

Hatecrime69

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So americans, what more rights have you lost today?[/citation]

don't be silly, we american's haven't had rights for a very long time :p

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
And cops wonder why they are disrusted and disliked among the general population. It is officers like this that give them all a bad image. Not surprising though about the state trying to prosecute the guy on wiretapping charges. This is what lawyers and bureaucrats do best... the wrong thing!

Stryter

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2009
[citation][nom]angryfingertips[/nom]It looked like the trooper was off duty, since he was not in uniform? From this video it does not appear that the officer did anything wrong and I see no reason why the video should be kept underwraps by the police.[/citation]

Did you miss the part where the off-duty cop pulled a gun on an unarmed man? First he cut the cyclist off, which is a dangerous stunt. The cop had no lights or sirens on. And then he gets out of the car and immediately pulls a gun, instead of, oh, I dunno, maybe a badge to identify that he is a cop. I would be seeing my life flash before my eyes if that happened to me.

insider3

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
[citation][nom]angryfingertips[/nom]It looked like the trooper was off duty, since he was not in uniform? From this video it does not appear that the officer did anything wrong and I see no reason why the video should be kept underwraps by the police.[/citation]

So, I take it that you are the type to assume that anyone in regular clothes that pulls out a gun on you is a cop. You must live in a wonderful neighborhood.

C00lIT

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
[citation][nom]Smochina[/nom]So americans, what more rights have you lost today?[/citation]

Can't lose what you don't have ;)
Good to be in Canada :p

Status
Not open for further replies.