Man Finds Military Missile Launcher in Garden

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

solymnar

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2006
Man...with halloween around the corner you'd think he would have just found the ultimate costume prop...

"Its time to make this party EXPLODE!!!!!"

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
That's an expended AT-6 launcher. The rocket has been fired already, so for all intents and purposes, it's an empty tube. I'd hang onto it for a conversation piece.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
[citation][nom]jellico[/nom]That's an expended AT-6 launcher. The rocket has been fired already, so for all intents and purposes, it's an empty tube. I'd hang onto it for a conversation piece.[/citation]

Man you need to work on your military equipment identification skill. AT-6 is NATO designation of an old Russian anti-tank missile system (9K114 Shturm). Or, you actually mean AT4 rockets. Google the picture of AT4 launcher and Dragon missile system and you'll find what that is.

jellico

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
[citation][nom]chaohsiangchen[/nom]Man you need to work on your military equipment identification skill. AT-6 is NATO designation of an old Russian anti-tank missile system (9K114 Shturm). Or, you actually mean AT4 rockets. Google the picture of AT4 launcher and Dragon missile system and you'll find what that is.[/citation]
I wrote AT6 as a typo and corrected myself immediately. Tom's had yet to provide an edit or delete option, so we try to be forgiving of spelling and grammar and such. Also, on my laptop, the image is about the size of a postage stamp (this is my work laptop, not my personal one). When I found a better copy of the image, I could clearly see it was an M-47 Dragon and not an AT-4.

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]When I was about 7 years old, I've found 2 artillery shells leftovers from WW2 on a valley near my grandparents house. My almost had a heart attack when he found hammering on those shells in his garage.[/citation]

Darwin Awards contender! lol

JonathanDeane

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yeah if it was empty I would have just kept it, just not something you see every day :) Hell a pawn shop probably would have given him 50$ for it lol

SVoyager

Distinguished
Nov 24, 2004
"It's weird enough that you'd be doing the gardening and happen upon a missile launcher"

omg this part made my day. I have a sudden urge of doing some lawn mowing, could find something cool.

trucmuche4

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
Can't missile launcher be legally owned by anyone in the US? Oh no wait, it's only full automatic assault rifles and .5 cal sniper rifle...

Cause you know, deers are so fast nowadays that you need to shoot them a hundred times per second or from one mile away so they have no idea you're around.

Anyway, funny enough that you find missile launcher in the US when you're gardening, what would we find if we really started looking? :p

Honis

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
[citation][nom]lemonade4[/nom]He was cutting down trees?[/citation]Yes. It's normal to go in and cut down trees in your forest for several reasons.
-Remove dead dieing trees to make room for healthier trees.
-Remove diseased trees do stop or slow the spread of the disease.
-Remove newer struggling trees to maintain healthier growth of the current trees.
-Remove trees and unwanted branches to form a path.

Generally I turn most of the trees I remove from my parents forest into firewood. All but the diseased ones which go to the burn pile outside.

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]zipzoomflyhigh[/nom]Never heard of someone cutting down tree's eh? That's how you make firewood.[/citation]
Are you admitting to not only cutting down trees, but burning them as well? Stay where you are, Al Gore and company are en route to take you to the nearest reeducation facility.

ichbinyogi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
Had to comment I was an Anti-Tank Assaultmen (0351) in the Marines from 1990 to 1996 and The Dragon anti-tank rocket was in service untill the Javelin replaced it shortly after I got out of the Marines. Yes there where still in service in 96. I know lots of guys with expanded Dragon tubes its just a fiberglass shell.

Even for a live one you need the combination Sighting and triger housing group that gets attached to the top of the tube to fire it.

It is a wired guided 84MM missle with a max range of 1100 meters, so no inless you get really close to a plane hehe

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Shoot the rocket launcher at the trees. That would certainly speed things up ^_^. Seriously though, it's kind scary that someone would leave that lying around. What's worse is that they weren't eager to pick this thing up.

G

He just wasted a whole day, and some phonecalls, and gets something like this taken away from him!

I wonder if he got at least some small bonus off it?

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
[citation][nom]doc70[/nom]if they don't want it back, just keep it, dude... may come in handy one day..[/citation]

Yeah, it might be useful for fighting of aliens or zombies or the decepticons! You never know ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.