Man Found Guilty for Tweeting Airport Bomb Threat

Status
Not open for further replies.

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
Don't run into the proverbial movie theater and scream fire, and then get upset when people blame you for a stampede. And then you wonder why you're being arrested for inciting a mob or some other thing.

Folks, we live in a society where people really do blow up airports or airplanes (or cars, or farmers markets, or anything else). Even as a joke, stuff like this MUST be taken seriously, because law enforcement (let alone the general public) don't always know that your joke isn't half serious.

babybeluga

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
[citation][nom]wonspur[/nom]Cant remember the last time a terrorist attack was stopped because of a tweet being called in.[/citation]

...I can't remember the last time a terrorist attack was stopped because of a pager...

...or a taco...

...or an iPad...

...pointless comment.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Right... because the first thing a terrorist would do before blowing something up is announce the target and time a week in advance from his middle class house for the entire world to see...

backin5

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Right... because the first thing a terrorist would do before blowing something up is announce the target and time a week in advance from his middle class house for the entire world to see...[/citation]

Terrorism is just that - inciting fear. They don't need to actually blow something up to disrupt people's lives and cause panic. Though I'd agree that usually terrorists are smart enough to cover their tracks so they don't get caught. But the last attempt at Times Square proves they're not always that clever.

Under these circumstances you don't need to be a genius to figure out this guy is no terrorist, but the stuff you can joke about with your friends in private are not always things that you should say out in public, where people who don't know you might take it seriously.

Bottom line, he should have known better, and hopefully others will too, now that he's been convicted.

Kelavarus

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Right... because the first thing a terrorist would do before blowing something up is announce the target and time a week in advance from his middle class house for the entire world to see...[/citation]

Not only that, but it's Twitter. Honestly. This is just ridiculous. There's a difference between denotation and connotation, and look at the connotations of Twitter in society? Not to mention, he'd have to have followers and such who would even see it. Seems like a waste of time and the 'justice' system to me.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
this is ridiculous.welcome to 1984 people.obviously this guy was not threatening to blow something up,he was a normal person getting angry.

boy i better watch out when iwrite my lyrics for the punk rock band i sing for.we might all get put in jail because of our offensive lyrics!!!

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]babybeluga[/nom]...I can't remember the last time a terrorist attack was stopped because of a pager......or a taco......or an iPad......pointless comment.[/citation]

and what exactly did yours accomplish...exactly stfu.

FloKid

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2006
No wonder babies that are born with parents who did not pass maturity are retarded. WTF is wrong with these news and the world... Boring and hella annoying.

zodiacfml

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2008
i guess, i think they did this just to scare people from doing such. it is quite costly do some background investigation for such.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
I fully agree with the guilty verdict. People need to realize that joking about certain things will land you with a fine, or even worse, in jail.

Status
Not open for further replies.