Man in Apple Store Pulls Handgun on iPhone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

As a pro-2nd amendment CCW holder, this guy needs his license revoked. Responsible gun owners don't want their guns to be accidentally seen, let alone 'flash' them for any reason. The gun isn't seen unless it's going to be used, period.

jjl

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]c4v3man[/nom]As a pro-2nd amendment CCW holder, this guy needs his license revoked. Responsible gun owners don't want their guns to be accidentally seen, let alone 'flash' them for any reason. The gun isn't seen unless it's going to be used, period.[/citation]
Agree 100%. I carry and DO NOT want anyone to see it as most sheeple would freak out. I have in case I need, and hope I never do.

stromm

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2004
"faces a carrying concealed weapons charge for failing to inform the deputy he had a gun."

WHAT?!?!? Um, the cop already knew he had a gun, that's why the cop was there in the first place!

Also, it's NOT illegal for a person with a CCW to "flash" their gun. It IS illegal for them to "flash" their gun as a threat towards a PERSON. According to the article, he wasn't threatening a person, he was "threatening" his iPhone. What's next, are people going to get arrested for saying "This thing is such a piece of crap that I'm going to go home and put a bullet through it"?

He was frustrated and made a very poor "joke" in front of an ignorant over-reactive girl. He never accepted that too many people pointlessly freak out at the sight of a real gun. That's his mistake.

nekatreven

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2007
[citation][nom]abswindows7[/nom]All I have to say is : AMERICA ! WOW VERY IMPRESSIVE HOW PPL CAN REACT TO SUCH STUPID THINGS ![/citation]

I really hope you didn't intend to single out America in that statement. Various other cultures in the rest of the world chop off people's hands for stealing a purse, or shun and or kill family members that are out of line, or put bombs in cars for civilians to discover. People are people. It is our nature to half the time make bad choices and or over-react to the actions of another person.

Also I think you may have meant to reference the US, which isn't really referenced by just saying America. The South Americans and the Canadians tend to get all bent out of shape when you do that. :)

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
"Also, it's NOT illegal for a person with a CCW to "flash" their gun. It IS illegal for them to "flash" their gun as a threat towards a PERSON. According to the article, he wasn't threatening a person, he was "threatening" his iPhone. What's next, are people going to get arrested for saying "This thing is such a piece of crap that I'm going to go home and put a bullet through it"?"

In Nevada at least, purposely showing a concealed gun can be/is considered brandishing, even if not taken out of it's holster. However carrying a gun openly in plain sight is legal in most counties, so yeah, the laws are kinda dumb. I'm betting this moron will walk without even a fine, but just because you have a gun doesn't mean you get to show it off to people or use it in a joke.

Also, CCW laws vary greatly from state to state, so what may be legal in your state may not be legal in Ohio. Ohio, while being a "shall issue" state, seems to be quite touchy on the subject of concealed carry, so it doesn't suprise me that he was arrested for this, even IF he is legally allowed to show the gun. Regardless of whether or not it's legal, he shouldn't be carrying a gun, much less a pocket-knife.

c4v3man

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
[citation][nom]stromm[/nom]"faces a carrying concealed weapons charge for failing to inform the deputy he had a gun."WHAT?!?!? Um, the cop already knew he had a gun, that's why the cop was there in the first place![/citation]
Actually, in Ohio I believe you're required to notify an officer that you are carrying if they, for instance, pull you over for a speeding ticket. This is actually the way it is in several states. I wouldn't be suprised if you would be required to disclose the information if merely approached by an officer. My guess is that this guy was asked if he had a gun, and said no due to either embarrassment, or because he knew he screwed up.

Also, I don't care if he is joking. There are some things you don't joke about... you don't say "bomb" in an airport, cry "fire" in a theater, or show off a freaking weapon in a public place as a 'joke'. This guy is NOT representative of the majority of gun owners, he's one of the fringe owners who carries a gun because it makes him feel 'cool', or to compensate for something else.

I've talked about getting a permit and other information at my office with some coworkers since they were interested when I mentioned I was taking the class and extended an offer to come along. Even when answering questions I have not shown them the weapons I carry even in that kind of controlled, understanding environment. You put your pistol on at your house, and you don't screw with it until you get home, or in the privacy of your car if you need to disarm to enter a federal building, etc.

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
lol what is funny was that my friend and I were at that exact Apple Store in July when I was down in Cincinnati visiting my family. That is an upscale neighbourhood and mall. Our plan was to flame the Macbook in front of the sales associate but apparently we weren't "cool enough" to be approached by an associate after standing around and looking at the expensive macs (hell they are ALL expensive) for over 20 minutes. No wonder he showed his gun!!

choujij

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
That was the best... It's like somehow they could smell the windows 7 on us...

Wow, I cannot believe this happened there!

I still wonder if all the copies of Firefox I installed on the Macs I visited there are still installed. =D

cabose369

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2006
[citation][nom]Choujij[/nom]That was the best... It's like somehow they could smell the windows 7 on us... Wow, I cannot believe this happened there!I still wonder if all the copies of Firefox I installed on the Macs I visited there are still installed. =D[/citation]

and all my anti mac articles I bookmarked on the computers there and set as homepages, such as the tgdaily article of mac viruses! LOL!!

Boxa786

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
He should have simply made an app for it, where it shoots itself and the phone dies, with making his first $100 he can go buy a real phone.

Damn sunflier you posted before me :D

CHRISTLUBAS

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I want to do that with my 44 Magnum 3 incher Trailboss and fucking put a hole at the apple and draw a worm!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

blackened144

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]warezme[/nom]point is, you should not have to disable anything to get more than a days use from any phone device.[/citation]
I've had several smartphones with full screens like the iPhone and I have never had one last more than a day with normal usage.. I dont see why the iPhone being the same way is somehow bad.. Even disabling services on my other phones wouldnt help with battery life.. At least the iPhone gives you the option.

compulsionnra

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
[citation][nom]esupan[/nom]I know its not following the rules to a tee but it would seem to me that if the police were called on your for having a concealed weapon you wouldn't think you would need to tell them you had a concealed weapon.I'm not condoning what this man did it just seems pretty silly to add that on there.[/citation]
Unfortunately in most states you have to notify the officer whenever you talk to /approach them; this includes traffic accidents and stops. Even if it's obvious. This is another way for the police to give you BS charges.

graill

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2009
Sad this kind of individual will add fuel to the fire that is antigun laws. The individual should not have been given a CC in the first place and his actions here prove it. He should have his CC revoked and he should be banned for life from ever being allowed to carry legaly, "I'm so mad i could pop a 9mm at it". Irresponsible shitbags like this and the people that think it is funny will cause the rest of us CC's to lose our rights, pathetic little dirtbags.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]It's so amusing, as a 20 year Windows user (currently Vista 64) that is has become so fashionable to flame Apple products and their OS's on the desktop and mobile. I will state without fear of exaggeration that anyone that has used any version of windows and installed programs on it, changed hardware, played games, updated drivers or in anyway useful had their computer turned on for more than a few months has at some point thought likewise about shooting it also. I have no problem saying that without a doubt anyone that says they have never had a problem that has gotten them angry and frustrated on Windows or Windows Mobile is without a doubt a complete liar. And I wouldn't care if you were worked for MS and were the lead programmer of the windows platform you still at some point ran into some problem that caused a BSOD, caused you to reinstall or restore, uninstall and reinstall drivers etc. Period.[/citation]
Ive not ever had a windows problem that was not caused by crummy dell hardware. Windows is a near perfect OS, but those vile "computers" that windows comes installed on, not so much.

pocketdrummer

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
You know. I hated the iPhone before I actually had the chance to use one. The only bad thing about it is the battery life. Just about everything else is spot on. I really don't see the need to bash a cell phone. You guys don't bash other, far crappier phones, so why do you insist on fueling an unimportant fanboy war?

For the record, I'm not part of any fanboy camp... whether it be for or against the iPhone. I would be just as likely to buy it if dell made it... it really doesn't matter to me.

Miharu

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2007
Apple: "No need to fix your ...hum... broken iPhone"
Mad Guy: "You said it, broken iPhone"
Apple: "I know but I don't know but it's impossible to fix because iStore blocked everything coming from 3rd Party application. You're doomed to use Apple apps and there is a bug in the apps"
Mad Guy: "You son of..."

Status
Not open for further replies.