Man Must Pay Facebook $873M For Penis Pill Ads

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Onus

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
WTF??? A Book/movie deal? And he's proud of himself? Come on now, stick his head in a bucket and pull the trigger; stop playing games. GAME OVER.

viometrix

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
and in the meantime a story about a spammer gets spammed in its own discussion. toms hardware is a technology site with crappy technology if they cant even stop message board spam.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
Future tom's readers: In this page, there were comments by two spammers. In the future, your present, they will reflect on the irony of this when they are being held on trial for massive spam.

G

Funny, just today a friend was sending me texts telling me how a virus was going around on Facebook. I wonder if they'll sue those guys for millions too.

chickenhoagie

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
greedy facebook looking for a lot of money by fighting against a greedy man who doesn't want to lose all of his money in court.

Spread the greed around boys and girls!

Nexus52085

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Good heavens aren't they getting greedy enough? That is more than most people will ever see in their entire life times unless he got a printing press.[/citation]
I don't think so. One of the staples of facebook is the fact that there isn't spamming. No ads, no nothing. Part of the appeal is its simplistic visual style. This man could have cripple that image. If enough people believe that's where facebook is headed, then it could cost the company many millions. I'd say Guerbuez got what was coming to him.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]What the hell? Insulting our dollar?Check the exchange rates would you...[/citation]

the dollar is getting weaker each and every day, thanks to Nike and other big companies for outsourcing to China, Philippines, Taiwan and other companies outside our country

jalek

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2007
Typical. He thought he'd be let off by the French-Canadian courts.
Instead, it was the bankruptcy courts.

Next, Tomsguide should be suing the spammers. There's obviously some money to be made in court.

wribbs

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2010
$100 USD in damages and $100 USD in punitive damages for each spam message!? I picked the wrong career; here I could have been deleting facebook spam for $200 a pop! I always knew forum mods were fithly rich snobs. But seriously, where do these lawyers come up with these $$$ amounts, ridiculous! Besides the civil courts shouldn't be dealing with spammers anyway, clearly spamming calls for capital punishment.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
/sarcasm There's nothing wrong with sending unsolicited ads to millions of people. All they have to do is click the delete button. Seriously, if you use the internet or watch TV you're agreeing to get bombarded with ads in one form or another. Why should anyone be sued for exercising their God given right?

bluekoala

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]its not excessive. if i read this right, he owes 200$ for every hacked facebook account. he hacked 4366386 accouts, and has to pay 873277200$saying thats excessive is like saying that killing one person is that same as killing 1000000 and you should only get 25 to life for it.[/citation]

Hitler, Stalin and Lenin only lost 1 life for the millions they ended. And shouldn't facebook be much more accountable if they had over 4 million accounts hacked?

jsc

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2004
[citation][nom]viometrix[/nom]and in the meantime a story about a spammer gets spammed in its own discussion. toms hardware is a technology site with crappy technology if they cant even stop message board spam.[/citation]
Don't confuse openness with crappy technology. Anyone can get an account and post. Short of full time moderated comments, about all we (OK, I have no official connection with THG, but I have been here a pretty long time) can do is play whack-a-mole when a spammer pops up.

I regard that as a small price to pay.

squidz66

Distinguished
Aug 13, 2010
They (The Fuzz) should keep the prick in gaol, till it's paid off!
Have to deter them somehow.
Next person who phones me to ask for money (At home, during dinner), I actually think I'll kill!

Status
Not open for further replies.