Man Pleads Guilty Selling Fake Chips to Navy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

pythy

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Question: What do you get if the Navy uses pirated Windows with counterfeit chips on board their nuclear submarines?

Answer: Weapons of Mass SELF-Destruction!!

swapnil mantri

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2009
"sanded off the brand markings of cheap chips"

"Their portfolio of counterfeited chips included fake versions of Intel, Fujitsu, Analog Devices, VIA, and National Semiconductor"

these 2 line's make it clear thta are indeed talking about computer
chips i.e computer processors !!!

what are some of u guys thinking & or is yesterdays hangover??
u can't sand off the "brand markings of cheap(potato) chips"!!!!
jesus christ there will nothing left to eat, if u sand off a potato chip!!
the author has accidently stuck on a pic of potato chips!! or maybe he was checking the I.Q of it's reader's!!! and some of u have failed miserably!!!!

WINTERLORD

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2008
or maybe someone juyst reread wro0ng photo chips picture ,and that military would notice not well f8unctio0ning computer chips :)

jalt

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2009
[citation][nom]chainsaw667[/nom] Why does the Navy not buy direct from the manufacturer, what is the fascination we have with middle-men?[/citation]

Probably because the manufacturer didn't bid. They almost never do. They like to sell mass quantities on their standard terms. There is just too much red tape and too many contract nuances for them to deal with government. They let the middlemen do it. If you've never worked on a government bid, you're a lucky man.

extremepcs

Distinguished
May 6, 2008
[citation][nom]nebun[/nom]that's what happens when you buy from the lowest bidder[/citation]
[citation][nom]extremepcs[/nom]That's the kind of $hit that happens when you are required to go with the lowest bidder. Stupid, stupid rule.[/citation]

Ooops :) I didn't read page 2 before I posted my initial comment.

ichbinyogi

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
yes the only reason they got caught was selling it to Navy Sea Systems which caught it right away. This is a R&D branch of the Navy so they will buy things like this for testing. As to why the Navy and the Military buy so much from companies like this is due to Congresional mandates.

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
And I have to wonder how the naval sea systems command figured out the chips weren't their regular brand.

Bob:
do these chips taste salty enough to you?

Stan:
Bob how many times do I have to tell you. Pants must always be worn when you're on duty and stop eating the chips! Waaaait a minute ... These do taste kinda funny.

I thought the potato chips pic was a wee bit clever.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS