Man Sells Old $5-$10 Atari 2600 Game for $31,600

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]One day, I will find that landfill in New Mexico and I will dig myself some copies. If I'm lucky, Imight find some in playing conditions. Then I will advertise myself as the owner of the most copies of the crappiest game ever made. Ever.[/citation]

Even the new copies weren't in 'playing condition'. Seriously, I actually playing it for about 10 minutes a couple weeks ago and that game makes no sense.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
This is a great story but I have to disagree with the $5-$10 price for the cart. If he bought it new, it would have been $40-$50. Atari games sold for a premimum back in the day.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
Did the seller test the game before selling? I bet not.
The buyer could swap the inside of the cartridge with a broken or something else and claim a dispute. Then gets his/her money back and resell it with different eBay userid. Quick cash.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]nforce4max[/nom]Most people won't get this and just laugh this off as some level of ignorance to stupidity but to a collector it doesn't have to be the best thing out there it is rarity and condition that counts. Congratulations to the lucky individual who bought this and even more so with intact packaging.[/citation]

You, sir, get a thumbs up from me. A lot of people dont seem to understand this. Just like with old collectable CPU's. A ceramic & gold Intel 4004 will bring thousands on eBay, yet people still go "ZOMGWTF it can't even play Crysis!!"

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]mavroxur[/nom]You, sir, get a thumbs up from me. A lot of people dont seem to understand this. Just like with old collectable CPU's. A ceramic & gold Intel 4004 will bring thousands on eBay, yet people still go "ZOMGWTF it can't even play Crysis!!"[/citation]

I will just never understand the whole idea of 'collectibles'. I actually worked in the auction industry for 6 years and saw the money people will spend on old comics, movie posters, etc. Sure, it would be kinda cool to have a Storm Trooper costume from New Hope, but spending tens of thousands of dollars on anything that is basically just a conversation piece doesn't make sense to me. Art is the same way.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]I will just never understand the whole idea of 'collectibles'. I actually worked in the auction industry for 6 years and saw the money people will spend on old comics, movie posters, etc. Sure, it would be kinda cool to have a Storm Trooper costume from New Hope, but spending tens of thousands of dollars on anything that is basically just a conversation piece doesn't make sense to me. Art is the same way.[/citation]

I guess it's just how you are. I like nice, new, shiny things too, But it's hard to have a conversation piece that you can go buy at Best Buy tomorrow. Sure, you just bought a giant lcd tv..... and so did millions of other people in the world.

I do love giant lcd tv's though, don't get me wrong.

G

damn he got lucky. I wish I had anything from then. I know I had stadium events when I was younger. Sadly it was torched when our house caught fire...

Status
Not open for further replies.