Man Sells Old $5-$10 Atari 2600 Game for $31,600

Status
Not open for further replies.

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
I still don't get why someone would pay that much for a game. Sure sure 13 known copies got it. Its rare yada yada. I would rather buy a car.

7amood

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2005
maybe if u r planning to sell it after 10 years for double or triple the price, u wouldn't buy the car. u can't sell a car for that money.
honestly, i'd go for the car :>

dasper

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I always love seeing news like this but if I ever see Superman 64 selling for more than 100 bucks I will crap bricks.

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
Most people won't get this and just laugh this off as some level of ignorance to stupidity but to a collector it doesn't have to be the best thing out there it is rarity and condition that counts.

Congratulations to the lucky individual who bought this and even more so with intact packaging.

aethm

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]dasper[/nom]I always love seeing news like this but if I ever see Superman 64 selling for more than 100 bucks I will crap bricks.[/citation]

There are probably only 10 of these left in existence. Hulk Smash!

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
There are some things in life that don't make sense, but still have value.

I can't see spending so much on something that's not new, but I have spent a lot on collectibles that were never used or open. Is it worth it? It is to me, I like having them.

If I were to tell you how many times I was asked what good is it if I don't use it, you wouldn't believe it. But, there's no amount of money I'd sell stuff like a sealed Apple IIe for, or a never used PS/2 Model 50z, or sealed TRS-80 Model 4. Money is easy to get, finding something like this isn't. Why would I want to trade something rare and difficult to get, for something we gain and lose every day?

I'm exaggerating to give a different perspective. But, that's the way a collector thinks.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
Rarity often generates value, as shown by the opening comments on comic books. Video games, wooden toys, art, antiques - its all the same. After all, people go nuts and spend fortunes collecting PEZ dispenser. Why? Its because they are free and it makes them happy.

To me buying a car seems like a crazy idea. It burns fossil fuels, has hidden costs such as fuel/maintenance/insurance, and deprives public transportation systems of critical revenue. Too often I hear people talking about a car as an "investment", but most cars usually cost the owner money and are a consumable. What is the deal with low-riders, neon lights, and all those silly after market parts? Makes no sense to me... oh yeah, it makes that person happy, and they are free to do so.

Now, if only my mom's basement hadn't had that sewage backup in the 90s, I'd have a mint in comics, video games, and old tech...

beoza

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2009
This was a rare game? All my relatives had copies of it, I remember playing it with my uncle and brother in my grandparents family room.

thejerk

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2009
Tanner Sandlin of Austin, Texas, the former owner Air Raid, bought it when he was 11 or 12 years old for between $5 and $10. The funny thing was that he didn't even like the game and it's sat in his mom's garage ever since. Now, decades later, still living in his mom's basement, the game was sold for $31,600 on eBay after being starting at just $0.50.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Everyone has their own quirks. More power to the person who can afford to spend 30k on a cartridge. Maybe if they knew I was a really nice guy and liked Air Raid they would fix my car for me. :)

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
I wouldn't be surprised if the systems themselves start selling for more than they do. Cartridges from these systems will probably outlast even the current gen of dvd/blueray.

I used to collect old video games myself(mostly Sega stuff). When I decided that I had had enough(~60kg - 4 moving ctns) the only things I actually made good money on was stuff that was given to me(Amiga and Atari 600xl). I ended giving all my sega stuff away(sms + smd + mcd + Game copier + ~250 games)......

tstebbens

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]because all of these newer systems use CD/DVD as media they wont get "antique status" like this..[/citation]

Not true. Storage media is always evolving. CDs were eclipsed by DVDs which are in turn been superceeded by BluRay. In the future I suspect we won't use optical disks at all, so consigning CD/DVD/BluRay to the category of "antique". If downloading content becomes the norm, then it'll be very difficult to keep any game for collectible value which is a shame.

I have an extra copy of HL2 Orange Box still unopened which I will be keeping hold of. I already had a copy and got bought it for Christmas one year and never got round to exchanging it.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
The price paid for this is amazing but what gets me who in their right mind would pay so much cash for this in the first place.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]captaincharisma[/nom]it would have been hilarious if it was ET[/citation]
One day, I will find that landfill in New Mexico and I will dig myself some copies. If I'm lucky, Imight find some in playing conditions. Then I will advertise myself as the owner of the most copies of the crappiest game ever made. Ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.