Man Shoots Up Apple Store

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

war2k9

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Thanks Tom's website for bring this story with such a good title. The war between apple lovers and apple haters continue to flame on.

I have a friend that works at att and i asked him did anyone return the ipone 3gs to the store for over heating problem in sf he said no.

Spanky Deluxe

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
I'm afraid this is the kind of article that gives this site a bad name. When reporting on someone being shot in an armed robbery, it's not really the place for poking fun. Compare this to the article by a leading Mac website reporting the same story: http://www.macrumors.com/2009/07/03/apple-store-employee-shot-at-virginia-retail-store/

The fact that someone was shot is clearly told even in the title of their report. Here, its almost an afterthought. Before anyone questions the lack of the completely irrelevent aspect of the iPhone 3G overheating, they leave that to another story.

Firehead2k

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2009
3 different messages in one article...
"Man Shoots Up Apple Store" = Man goes on a rampage inside an apple store.
"A man fired his weapon at a Virginia Apple Store" = Man fires gun at an apple store from a distance.
"a man shot an Apple Store employee in Arlington" = armed robbery.

seriously... wtf

FUtomNOreg

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2008
It bothers me that a young woman shot up by an idiot at an Apple store is only referred to as an Apple employee. Is this information reported in order of information? Is she an Apple employee first, then a 26 year old female second? is she a person at all in this, or is she just a piece of corporate property?

bin1127

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2008
"Recently Apple has come under fire in regards to its just-released iPhone"

lots of puns lately. Did the other employee make the 911 call on an iphone? "iPhone saves fellow employee" is a good headline.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
the U.S. Park Police and Arlington police K-9 units searched for the armed man but came up empty handed (or empty pawed).

Made my day!

although the reports did not indicate if he had burn marks on his palms resulting from an overheated iPhone 3GS.

Farfetched and absurd but still funny!

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
A man fired his weapon at a Virginia Apple Store, however its unknown if he was looking for cash, looking for merchandise, or was pissed off that the new iPhone 3GS burned his hands.

Whoever wrote this piece of crap deserves to be fired immediately. It is not funny to ridicule a crime victim, and it is not funny to be shot by a petty criminal. I found the article very offensive for being such bad taste.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2007
A few years ago, a relative of mine was shot while defending a woman from
being robbed at a train station. He almost died.

Only in the US would the prevalence of gun crime be so bad that people appear
to have become immune and thus make light of the invetable end result: injured
or dead people.

For those who think the article was amusing, ask yourself this: if it was
your sister/friend/etc. who'd been shot, would you still think it's funny?

I have no doubt that if the TV news here had shown a piece about the incident
in this way, there would be a flood of complaints, etc. Why should standards
be any less for an online news site?

Kevin Parrish, you should be ashamed of yourself.

Ian.

Status
Not open for further replies.