Man Who Tweeted Airport Bomb Hoax is Charged

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
[citation][nom]touchdowntexas13[/nom]Yes what logitic said makes sense. The moron that got arrested should have used a bit of common sense before posting something like that.What you posted does not make any sense.I don't like having freedoms taken away any more than the next person, but give me a break. With all of the crazy stuff that has been happening lately, you think that people SHOULD be posting that kind of stuff? Sorry, but that puts you in the same stupidity range as the guy that got arrested.Here is an idea. Before people exercise their right to free speech, they should at least THINK about recent events that could cause their pointless babble to be taken seriously. People are crazy, and you can't expect the police to be able to distinguish between a crazy person and a person that is just trying to make a not-so-funny joke.For instance, I attend the University of Texas @ Austin. Yesterday some crazy dude went on a suicide mission and flew a freaking plane into an IRS building. For what? Because he hates the government that's why. No one out there could have predicted this guy was completely crazy.http://www.businessinsider.com/jos [...] sto-2010-2Check that out. I can agree with some of his points, but this dude was a crazy/extremist/martyr.[/citation]

So what, some IRS dude died. I dont think its worth giving away an inch of liberty. The guy is right, this is simply giving in to the terrorist. The best course of action is to ignore the problem altogether, if it gets out of hand, we can always bomb a random country to oblivion.

Terrorism is not a real threat, they cannot inflict any damage worth mentioning. Like comparing 9/11 to pearl harbor is blatant ignorance. 9/11 is nothing, 3000 people died (its sad but life goes on), 60 000 000 people died in WW2. The numbers speaks for themselves.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]Jerther[/nom]I don't approve but If he were a real terrorist, he would shout threats where it matters, not on twitter... I'm starting to thing that twitter and facebook are being taken too seriously.[/citation]
I don't know about that. Some dillweed just took out a building with a plane after posting on a blog. I'm not sure I would care what medium is used.

tamalero

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2006
lol, and americans insist "terrorists didnt win!, they didnt changed anything of us".... open your eyes guys, they just transformed your country into the most paranoic country ever.
anyone shouting "it was a bomb man, a bomb of a party.." they would be detained even when they mean it was a cool party?

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
"So what, some IRS dude died."
Nice. That was just some guy working at his desk.
His name was Vernon Hunter and he had a family.
Your liberty ends at the border of actions that threaten the life or liberty of others. Go past this line and you should not have any rights beyond that of a fair trial. Trial finds you innocent, you get your rights back.

On the other side of your argument, liberty and rights are not about numbers. They are about ideals and I agree that the first compromise is simply the segway to others. It should not matter 30,000 or 60,000,000. You either stand by your beliefs or you have no real standards.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
[citation][nom]tamalero[/nom]lol, and americans insist "terrorists didnt win!, they didnt changed anything of us".... open your eyes guys, they just transformed your country into the most paranoic country ever.anyone shouting "it was a bomb man, a bomb of a party.." they would be detained even when they mean it was a cool party?[/citation]
Big difference between "it was a bomb of a party" and "I'm going to bomb your party."

ik242

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2009
why do they let this dumba** out on a bail? keep him locked for some time, let him loose some wages, job perhaps and spend some money on lawyer. he may learn thing or two...

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]PC_GI[/nom]At least in America we have free speech... as long as you don't say that.. Or anything that another individual might find offensive for any particular reason...[/citation]

Not true...

You can not yell 'Fire!' in a theater in the USA.
It's illegal and makes sense.
Speach that can panic / endanger the public is not protected.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
It's a matter of context...

In the context of his message, it should be quite obvious he was not going to bomb the airport.

Additionally, do terrorists ever indicate their targets before they attack? Seems to be every headline reads either "Such and such claimed responsibility for the attack" or "Nobody has claimed responsibility".

Anyone supporting his arrest is liken to a Nazi.

rsud

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2007
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]So what, some IRS dude died. I dont think its worth giving away an inch of liberty. The guy is right, this is simply giving in to the terrorist. The best course of action is to ignore the problem altogether, if it gets out of hand, we can always bomb a random country to oblivion.Terrorism is not a real threat, they cannot inflict any damage worth mentioning. Like comparing 9/11 to pearl harbor is blatant ignorance. 9/11 is nothing, 3000 people died (its sad but life goes on), 60 000 000 people died in WW2. The numbers speaks for themselves.[/citation]

The death toll at pearl harbor was around 3000. How you jump from your pearl harbor "example" to WW2 is some disfunction in your head.

Some IRS dude died? I'm sure he had a name and a family.

Grow up.

djackson_dba

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
Some basic thoughts.

First, from personal experience, when someone posts a bomb threat on some anonymous forum for the building you are in your first thoughts are not going to be...
1) Some dude is depriving me of my liberty.
2) I wonder what context that threat was made in. Sarcasm?
3) Can't be serious. It was posted on(insert Facebook, Twitter, etc...).
Unless you are intellectually challenged in some severe way your first thoughts will most likely be "I'm outta here!", "Where are the stairs?", "I can rationalize on this later!" and "I've got one life!".

Second, our rights do have limits in that our rights cannot supercede each other. Your freedom of speech cannot supercede my freedom of speech, personal liberty or my expectation to not live under threat. It is a damned good arrangement. There is no absolute right to free speach. If there were, other people could deprive you of your rights at a whim.

DearSX

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2010
I think most people here are overeating and don't appreciate or understand human rights and lack compassion and integrity. No one has a right to tell another what they can and can't say, imo. I understand retaining someone for crying wolf, but that does not mean I'm right and they are wrong. It means I'm afraid and choose to take anothers freedom for my own selfish life style. I'm willing to live with that, but I also accept that I'm hurting another to get my way.

bamslang

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2009
[citation][nom]kingnoobe[/nom]You're all just as stupid as this guy is. You all should be lined up and freaking hung.[/citation]

Hanged.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]djackson_dba[/nom]Unless you are intellectually challenged in some severe way your first thoughts will most likely be "I'm outta here!", "Where are the stairs?", "I can rationalize on this later!" and "I've got one life!".[/citation]

To be honest, if any threat to blow up the place I work at was made, it would most likely be taken as a joke, and the threatener laughed at...

But I don't work at an airport. However, from an airport employee point of view, what you say makes perfect sens.

BTW I didn'T know about "Some dillweed just took out a building with a plane after posting on a blog." And I agree on something: a plot being discussed is to be taken seriously no matter what the medium is but a threat... You see, a clown with a knife COULD be dangerous but I still wanna laugh.. :)

Oh well, anyways, jokes about blowing airports up are just playing with gazoline.

briapro

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2001
Pursuing the charge in this case is so ridiculous they must be doing it to make him an example. How was this tweet discovered and by whom? Does he have the knowledge and the means to carry out such a threat. If the answer is no slap him on the wrist and let him go.

g00ey

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
Terrorism is a government invention to lead the attention off of other bigger problems such as the deteriorating economy.

Status
Not open for further replies.