News Massive Verizon outage — live updates and what to do with iPhone in SOS

Sep 30, 2024
Blackout in New Jersey for iPhone 13 and under (any phone with removable SIM) but eSIM phones are working fine. Another scheme by Verizon or Apple to force people to upgrade?

dbam987

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2010
Same here... I got a "no smoking" (minus the cig) sign on my phone. Kind of scary getting the "phone not registered" message... I know I've been paying my cell bill... :D

Sep 30, 2024
Blackout in New Jersey for iPhone 13 and under (any phone with removable SIM) but eSIM phones are working fine. Another scheme by Verizon or Apple to force people to upgrade?
What else do you believe in? eSIM phones, including my own are also not working. There is no “scheme” by anyone trying to get you to upgrade. New flash, old devices tend to slow down, and degrade after years of using them.

Sep 30, 2024
Central California is out as well. I’m a college student and everyone is having to be connected to the WiFi to use their phones.

Sep 30, 2024
San Francisco Bay Area, Northern California, SOS as well. Even with WiFi - fails to make calls. Can only Text, browse internet or post this.

Sep 30, 2024
I have an eSIM and it's in SOS mode. I've seen others with eSIMs state they're having issues and I've seen people with physical sims having issues too. This would also be a dumb, ineffective way for them to push upgrades. No one is rushing out to the Verizon or Apple Store right now to upgrade just because their service is out.

Sep 30, 2024
I have been out of service for hours now in the Detroit area.

Edit: My fiancee has Verizon service but not 5G. We both have Pixel Pro 7s and are sitting next to each other. A restart didn't help, either.

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2024
I have not been able to receive/ send calls or text since about 9am this morning. I'm in Central Florida. I have an Android phone with Verizon. My bf has T mobile though and he has no signal either. It's in SOS mode like my phone is with Verizon. Can't make or receive calls/ texts. A relative of mine has Verizon also though and they're sitting next to me and they haven't been effected... this morning though, my phone did an automatic update at about 4am and my relative's phone did not update yet. I wonder if it's a virus. Anybody else do an update before your phone stopped working?

Update: 3pm EST and still no service in central Florida

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2024
Reactions: Laurenmc2985