News Massive Verizon outage — live updates and what to do with iPhone in SOS

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 30, 2024
It's Apple or something between Apple and Verizon. I haven't switched to an IPad, so I checked my Samsung Tablet. I have connection without needing my Wi-Fi. I have an iPhone 14 pro max.
This is happening on Android devices as well. It is just inconsistent as my fiancee and I both have Pixel 7 Pro phones on Verizon, and she has service while I don't. She doesn't have 5G.

Sep 30, 2024
I have been in SOS mode in Nashville, TN with Verizon since 10AM CST. Others around me who have Verizon aren’t having this issue. I believe this is randomized? One of my daughters is in SOS mode, while the other isn’t. They are in the same city in Southern Indiana.

Any idea of an ETA ?

Sep 30, 2024
I have a Samsung S23U phone on Verizon. My message when I try to make a call is "Your phone is not registered on a network, so you can only make emergency calls.

Sep 30, 2024
Declining reports in Down Detector doesn't necessarily correlate to a reduced outage. Those already affected are unlikely to report again, and those visiting Down Detector already seeing spiked reports may be disinclined to add their own.

Reactions: tyler524

thunderdan602

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2013
Been out all morning. I made my last text before 8 AM here in Phoenix, AZ. I’m on an iPhone 15 PM. I’ve been unable to make phone calls or text since. It’s now 12:17 here. It’s weird my daughter also has an iPhone and she can text me and I can respond. And for some reason, the Wi-Fi on my phone is not working. Even though it’s enabled on my phone and I have very good Wi-Fi here at home.

Sep 30, 2024
I'm in Phoenix, AZ area. We have 7 phone on our Verizon account and half of them are affected. I cannot text or call even on wifi.

Sep 30, 2024
I really wish I didn't switch from Cricket (AT&T) to Verizon about a year ago. First they sent me a phone with a non Apple screen, then the discounts they promised, that I have screenshots of, never applied. So many dropped calls and network issues I'm disgusted with these liars and cheats. I want out of my contract but can't afford to hire a lawyer.

Reactions: Laurenmc2985
Sep 30, 2024
Verizon has told news outlets that you can use WiFi calling on a regular WiFi network which is false. Due to the nature of this failure, WiFi calling is also broken. To add insult to injury, no texting is working at all so 2 factor authentication is not working either. So you cannot log into anything requiring it including your Verizon account. Verizon needs to allow their own authentication code to work through the app on a WiFi network when the cellular network is down so you can get into your Verizon account for support. It's ridiculous that you cannot. Poorly thought out system.
We need to be allowed to connect to another network at Verizon's expense during this time!

Reactions: tyler524
Sep 30, 2024
Blackout in New Jersey for iPhone 13 and under (any phone with removable SIM) but eSIM phones are working fine. Another scheme by Verizon or Apple to force people to upgrade?
No I am upgraded and my phone is out. By wife and kids have 14 and they have no issues

Sep 30, 2024
RESOLVED- Try hard reset of iPhone- quickly- push Volume up button, release, then push volume down button then release, then quickly push and hold side lock button without releasing until you see apple. If you see “slide to power off” keep holding button until phone powers off and keep holding until you see 🍎.
If you see Siri listening to you, start over- Vol up, Vol down, hold side button.