News Massive Verizon outage — live updates and what to do with iPhone in SOS

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Sep 30, 2024
I was on a HUGELY important business call this morning, about a mile north of downtown Chicago, and my phone just disconnected in the middle of it. I tried calling back and it said I had no service. I tried a secondary line on my phone and same thing. I checked my phone info on both my primary number on the SIM and my secondary line on the eSIM both say "Emergency Calls Only". That was at least 2 hours ago and I haven't had any change in status and even the Verizon website is acting weird...error codes on links, pages not responding, or running so slow it's impossible to do anything. This is MADDENING, and that call was quite literally a life or death type call for me. I may be screwed into the next life by this gaffe. I'm on a brand spanking new Galaxy s24+, and actually one of my lines hasn't worked right since I signed up two weeks ago and nobody seems able to fix that either. Ugh. Even crappy old Boost Mobile was better than this. What a mistake.

Funny that Verizon commented that it's "Just Chicago and a couple other cities" as if that's okay in the first place, but seeing the comments on here, they're full of it...there's comments from FL, LA, NJ, MI, OH, IL, CA, CO, AZ...maybe they meant just a couple of "continents".

Last edited:
Sep 30, 2024
I have not been able to receive/ send calls or text since about 9am this morning. I'm in Central Florida. I have an Android phone with Verizon. My bf has ATT though and he has no signal either. It's in SOS mode like my phone is with Verizon. Can't make or receive calls/ texts. A relative of mine has Verizon also though and they're sitting next to me and they haven't been effected... this morning though, my phone did an automatic update at about 4am and my relative's phone did not update yet. I wonder if it's a virus. Anybody else do an update before your phone stopped working?
Nope no update here. It just dumped me in the middle of a call and hasn't worked at all since.

Reactions: Laurenmc2985
Sep 30, 2024
I have an eSIM and it's in SOS mode. I've seen others with eSIMs state they're having issues and I've seen people with physical sims having issues too. This would also be a dumb, ineffective way for them to push upgrades. No one is rushing out to the Verizon or Apple Store right now to upgrade just because their service is out.
Or at least they're not rushing to a Verizon store for sure.

Sep 30, 2024
Verizon has told news outlets that you can use WiFi calling on a regular WiFi network which is false. Due to the nature of this failure, WiFi calling is also broken. To add insult to injury, no texting is working at all so 2 factor authentication is not working either. So you cannot log into anything requiring it including your Verizon account. Verizon needs to allow their own authentication code to work through the app on a WiFi network when the cellular network is down so you can get into your Verizon account for support. It's ridiculous that you cannot. Poorly thought out system.

Sep 30, 2024
Yes, people are falsely stating that SIM cards are working when eSIM isnt' and vise versa. Bottom line, they don't know what they're talking about.
Verizon has told news outlets that you can use WiFi calling on a regular WiFi network which is false. Due to the nature of this failure, WiFi calling is also broken. To add insult to injury, no texting is working at all so 2 factor authentication is not working either. So you cannot log into anything requiring it including your Verizon account. Verizon needs to allow their own authentication code to work through the app on a WiFi network when the cellular network is down so you can get into your Verizon account for support. It's ridiculous that you cannot. Poorly thought out system.
Also, my Apple Watch cellular is working as well as my wife's and kid's iPhones, all on the same Verizon account. So this appears to be impacting specific SIM numbers.

Sep 30, 2024
I am unable to use WiFi calling or texting. I even tried going into airplane mode and only connecting to WiFi like I would when traveling internationally, but I still haven't had any luck. Going on for over four hours now without any service.

Sep 30, 2024
I'm Android. No verizon in Lexington, KY area. Why can't i use wifi calling? It gives me the "your phone's not on a network, so you can only make emergency calls". I use wifi calling in a condo bldg with hit or miss cell service all the time. It works fine. Why can't I use it now?

Still getting election texts. So annoying.

Sep 30, 2024
Here's what's odd. In my office in Central Illinois some of us are experiencing the SOS/Outage problem, while others have a working phone.

Also having the same issue someone reported above - wifi calling and iMessage aren't working either.

Sep 30, 2024
In Lexington, KY I can still text. So why no wifi calling? Also tried to use Whatsapp (which I hanen't use on this new phone) but I couldn't set it up because the SMS never came thru? Is that temporary or did Verizon get rid of Whatsapp?

Oh and my bro in law with me has a waay old phone (me new Galaxy S24+) he can make calls.

Sep 30, 2024
Blackout in New Jersey for iPhone 13 and under (any phone with removable SIM) but eSIM phones are working fine. Another scheme by Verizon or Apple to force people to upgrade?
iPhone 16 pro here, it's down. My so's on the same account with an iPhone 13 mini and hers is unaffected....so put away your tinfoil hat, you're wrong.

Sep 30, 2024