MasterCard Hit by DDoS in WikiLeaks Revenge

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Achilles295

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
[citation][nom]cammmy[/nom]So it's not the credit card companies' jobs to tell us who we can donate money to and it is immoral of them to do so?So if the Taliban setup an account for donations and Visa/Mastercard/Paypal refused to make payments to it. That would also be despicable?They say they are fighting for freedom from oppression too...[/citation]

Yes... that's the same.

Kamab

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2010
[citation][nom]wavebossa[/nom]These DDoS attacks were suuuch a bad idea. Prior to this, WikiLeaks could have garnered support playing the card of "Freedom of Speech" and "Journalism" to combat claims that they were a terrorist sympathetic website who's main purpose was to bring down the U.S.Well, they could have made claim.. if they hadn't decided to engage in this petty cyberwar.Now they no longer play the part of a victim in a big conspiracy + coverup. Now they just look like pretentious pricks who believe that not only is their cause of greater importance, but also that they are above reproach. The once journalistic site has shed its facade, and is now showing its true colorsP.S. DDoS attacks on Sarah Palin? Roflwut? I cannot even begin to fathom what they hope to achieve by doing that. At least the other targets made a little bit of sense.[/citation]

2 Things. WikiLeaks for the most part publishes embarrassing information that usually some government or group lied about or profited unfairly from. To me they seem like a semi-unique independent news organization. (no Murdoch-like figures influencing what stories get published)

Secondly, these DDoS attacks are done and carried out primarily by hackers trolling up 4chan forums. Supporting WikiLeaks is just their flavor of the week.

also, to wavebossa

If the information WikiLeaks published ever posed a military threat to the United States, you can be assured that Assange wouldn't just end up in jail based off some trumped up sexual assault charges, he'd be dead or in some off the grid US military prison.

geminireaper

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
I think anyone who had anything to do with the leaks needs to be tried for treason. Warranted or not those leaks put thousands of people at harm.

Achilles295

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2010
[citation][nom]geminireaper[/nom]I think anyone who had anything to do with the leaks needs to be tried for treason. Warranted or not those leaks put thousands of people at harm.[/citation]

Please do explain.

Status
Not open for further replies.