Matching Algorithm Claim of Online Dating Sites Likely False

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wild9

Distinguished
May 20, 2007
Be terrible if some of these Internet scammers from Nigeria got signed up to a dating sight.. all their 'interests' and email address laid out in plain view. Then they get a hook up offer from another unfortunate scammer. They scam each other and live happily ever after (or until they're locked up and afraid to bend over in the showers to pick up the soap). Ha ha.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
I was the webmaster for a marriage agency site for a number of years.
Can I let you in on a secret ?
The problem with sites like Match.com or eHarmony is a simple one.
They don't dare to ask the real questions that matter !
The majority of failed relationship do not fail because of incompatible tastes in music and food;
the by far two most common reasons.. MONEY and SEX !

You have to match people by their expectations to these things.
And lets face it, especially in a country as prude as the USA there is just no way to do that.

jrtolson

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
match.com and eharmony fail and should be avoided, as both sites are full of overwieght ladies looking for a bloke to marry them and buy them a house.. (no offence)

sites like Plenty of fish, alt.com, girlsdateforfree, and a few others have the stance that people just want to meet for some discreet dirty fun.. and as a bloke this has appeal.. because as u build up a number list and network with these girls then at least there is the idea u could take things further with at least one of them...

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]jrtolson[/nom]match.com and eharmony fail and should be avoided, as both sites are full of overwieght ladies looking for a bloke to marry them and buy them a house.. [/citation]

Nah, never saw a profile with "overweight' in it.

But how about "Ample,Buxom,Cuddly,Curvy,Full-Figured,Natural Body Type,Plus-Sized,Queen-Sized,Rubenesque,Voluptuous" as euphemisms. We all have seen them and know what they mean.
The ugly 3 letter word that starts with 'F' :)

bob1234567

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I think the key to the issue is that it is a bit flawed to peg one Algorithm and apply it to all of the vast variety of people out there. There's a lady on TED who did an interesting talk about the using the flawed algorithms from dating sites but she then used the data to develop her own tailor made algorithm and sets of criteria. See "How I hacked online dating" on TED.

bob1234567

Honorable
Nov 20, 2013
I think it's flawed to peg 1 single algorithm/framework to the vast variety of people out there which is why this system fails even though the algorithms themselves work as they are supposed to. Theres an interesting TED discussion by a lady who highlights this, she created her own "framework" , see "How I hacked online dating" on TED.

Status
Not open for further replies.