Maya and Mudbox Help

hmims

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Hello, I'm needing help with 64bit auto desk programs not wanting to start. Everytime I try to start Maya 2014 or Mudbox 2014 it throws out an error "fatal error. attempting to save in" and crashes.

I recently made a clean install on a SSD but the programs ran fine when I using a HDD.

I also tried an earlier version Maya 2012, didn't work.

My specs...

GPU: Nvidia GTX 560 ti

Please help

bambiboom

Honorable
Apr 7, 2012
hmins,

That is a strange one. I've always (started with AutoCad 10 DOS in 1993) found Autodesk software to be very stable and a dual failure of the same kind may be the key to solving the puzzle.

1> My first instinct is to try and think of ways by which Autodesk might try to block use of programs that have not been reactivated, or that the activation has some glitch. However, if it were a licensing problem, the error message would be more genteel, "I say old chap, drop us a quick missive over at the office, would you, and prove for the twentieth time you're not disgusting pirate scum?".

2> The very simplest things > how much space and/or what percentage of your new SSD C: drive is free space? I would suggest it have least 15-20% free. The thing is, most people using workstation run a lot of applications at once and I assume there are multitudes of large swap files- especially in 3D modeling applications. If you're using a 120GB SSD, it may be a bit tight on space. I have an OS/applications partition of 145GB of which 115GB is used and I consider myself near the limit.

3> Configuration > On the subject of running several demanding applications at once- and I think of Maya because of the polygon/ animation/ rendering demands as one of the most intensive, a good supply of both RAM and processing cores is recommended. When I started doing large renderings at high resolution, I added a second 4-core Xeon, changed RAM from from 12 to 16GB, and very importantly changed a GTX 285 to a Quadro FX 4800. I had some odd, severe problems with the GTX- viewports would not open, bizarre artifacts, corrupted shadows, rendering crashes and so on, all of which were cured by the Quadro.

Can you say what processor(s) and RAM you're using?

4> One possibility is that, as both programs are having the same failure, the problem may be with the Windows 7 installation- possibly there are registry or DLL disasters within . I'm not a good OS diagnostician, but you might try a "repair install" that reinstalls Windows but leaves all the applications and settings intact. I've done this and it worked, although it takes a very long time- Windows 7 Ultimate on a computer with a lot of programs (C: = 115GB) required almost 3 hours.

5> Finally, I'm not sure what you've tried, but another tactic might be to go through Control Panel > Programs and Features, and uninstall everything you use from Autodesk on the computer whether it's working or not. Autodesk seems to mash all the programs into a single folder and makes each sub-program interdependent- it may a "weakest link" situation in which some common sub-application such as the viewer or DXF converter is corrupted.

6> You might post on the helpful and knowledgable AutoDesk support forum, "My $11,000 Software is Losing me $200 per Hour, Who do I Sue First?" > that very expensive software entitles you to answers,..

Cheers,

BambiBoom

[Dell Precision T5400 > 2X Xeon X5460 quad core @ 3.16GHz, 16 GB ECC , Quadro FX 4800 (1.5GB), WD RE4 / Segt Barcd 500GB > Windows 7 Ult > AutoCad, Revit, Solidworks, Sketchup, Adobe CS MC, Corel Technical Designer, WP Office, MS Office]

hmims

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2011
Thanks man.... but I figured it out. The current Nvidia Drivers for the GTX 560ti is the problem. I had to revert back to an older driver. Thanks again.