MBP 2011 15" vs W520

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
I am in the market for somewhat of a budget laptop with quad-core capabilities. I do a heavy amount of work in windows as an admin at a windows shop, but tend to do development/minor graphics work as well (Visual Studio based, but also python and web stacks, Photoshop). Having access to bash via OSX is an awesome feature - and I also want to get more familiar with OSX as it has been years since owning a mac.

Also, I've heard a lot of good things about bootcamp and parallels, etc., but I am not sure how viable this actually is in a major windows environment. In either case, VMWare useage is a must.

I've nailed it down to pretty much two models, a Lenovo w520 and MBP 15" 2011 (it has swappable ram, which I plan to upgrade).

Gaming isn't also of a big deal, since I have a desktop built for it; but playing some modern games would be nice (maybe civ5 or dota). Not really a necessity, but a cool bonus, I guess.

The specs on each (I've also considered a t440s):

W520 (~$450):
Intel Core i7-2760QM 2.4GHz
Powerful quad core cpu
RAM 8GB DDR3 Memory
Supports up to 32GB max
Display 15.6" HD+ Widescreen LCD
(1600x900 max res)
Storage 160GB solid state drive
Optical DVDRW
Video Card NVIDIA Quadro 1000M
2GB of dedicated video memory
Audio Integrated audio

W520 #2 ($~700)
Processor Intel Core i7-2860QM Quad Core Processor (8mb cache, upto 3.6 Ghz.)
Operating System Genuine Windows 7 Professional, 64bit- English (Genuine factory install with restore partition intact)
Total Memory 8 GB SDRAM SODIMM Memory
Hard Drive 240 GB SSD HD (Intel 520 Series SSD) Uprgraded after factory.
Display 15.6" HD 1920x1080 LED, with Camera
Graphics 2 GB Nvidia Quadro 2000m Dedicated Graphics card
Optical Device Removable internal DVDRW

Note here: I like the idea of having an extra caddy for an HDD, the lower price leaves more room for upgrading ram or ssd, etc. Durability seems impeccable and self-upgrading capabilities is great!

2011 Macbook (~$600):
2.2 GHZ Intel Core i7 Quad-Core Processor
4GB DDR3 Memory (supports up to 16)
500GB Hard Drive - 7200RPM
Intel HD Graphics 3000 384MB + AMD Radeon 6750M 1GB Dual Graphics
Hi-Resolution 1680 x 1050 LCD Display
OEM DVD Burner

Note: Access to *nix and both os'es and swayed by nice design/reputation. Lack of linux support (and needing additional adapters) kind of sucks, but I can deal with this. Price leaves less room for upgrading, but I'll deal with it if this seems to be a good deal. Durability not as good, but weighs less for better portability? I've also heard of MBP running extremely hot?

I would say that as you work with windows that you buy a windows laptop as the windows partition on mac doesn't run as well. The second lenovo is a good deal but in my opinion you don't really need a workstation gpu. I would look into getting a newer laptop with an i5 or i7 depending on the amount of cpu power you need and not worry too much about the gpu.

gjt86

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2007
Early 2011 version (I thiink, it is one of the last models with DIY upgrade-able ram). I think I will be going with lenovo, but I'm just not sure what is the best bang for buck here. Is a newer i5 better than the w520 quad i7?