McAfee: Android Malware Surges 76 Percent in Q2

Status
Not open for further replies.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
Is Android the next windows (in terms of spywares and malwares)?

This is actually a good news for Android, since if Android is not that popular, nobody will care... even the hackers.

raaj1234

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
sounds to me that since Android a factual commercial success, 3rd parties want a piece of their (goolge) pie ;)

Nice marketing move.....not noteworthy though.....

skaz

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011
Of course a company based around the prevention of malware is going to release "results" that dramatize the need for THEIR product.

Information came from "McAfee Threats Report". Would have been more reputable if this information came from a third party.

jojesa

Distinguished
Since McAfee started with this reports, I have 22 friends with Android devices and none have got a single malware just yet. It could be a bunch of BS and propaganda.
I don't know if any one here is familiar with McAfee Android Mobile Security, which requires your phone # plus a contact phone # to work. That, I call malware. You, sneaky you McAfee.
We are using the Norton Mobile Security which does not require that type of commitment.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
That's because when you have 17 viruses, and you add 13 more, you get a 74% increase.
Compared to the millions of viruses for windows...

G

I need to learn from these malware guys. I'd like my malware free app to reach millions.

G

The only supposed "malware" that's actually out in force is when people read that a cheesy little game requires the following permissions:

Internet access
Access to your contacts
The ability to make phone calls
Your location
etc...

There is a large percentage of the population still dumb enough to install, but with FREEDOM comes PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.

Having said that, McAfee makes a lot of money to scare you about int3rw3bz nasties, so take anything they say with a large grain of salt.

bystander

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
I don't know how often Android devices get malware, but I installed AVG just to be safe. It scans once a week and after downloads. So far, nothing has been found.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
And here we go, so the malware install base got up from 1 user in a trillion to one user in the billion - ALL are doomed advertizing to sell a product like the virus/malware companies have been doing for years. Still have to find a single pice of malware but then again i don't click on links saying "Free pron" ect!

Status
Not open for further replies.