McAfee: Data Theft Results in Trillion-Dollar Losses

Status
Not open for further replies.

LATTEH

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2008
i have mcafee it doesnt take a lot of ram in background i think its really god Plus im getting it for free from comcast :D

G

McAfee? Never.

That is one oofthe worst companies in that type of business!

I notified McAfee several times about serious "defects" of their products, and they were totally unintrested.

The McAfee for years and knowingly sold products which stall CPU and require reinstallation of operating system, or computer would never boot!

The worst products one can buy that is Symantek, and McAfee!

I know, they know, many people know, and now you know it to.

Stay away from that crap!

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I think McAffe is exaggerating simply to act like they are the solution to the problem. While data theft certainly is a real concern its certainly something that can be combated with simple knowledge and common sense.

Lets face it when corporations get infected with malware its because the employs aren't doing what they should be in the first place. Why heavy restrictions aren't placed on the workers computers is beyond me.

A program to combat it like McAffe isn't the answer. It does not protect you against new threats until its updates which can and probably will be to late with how often new malware pops up. All you have to do to avoid such things is to be educated and know whats safe and what isn't.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
Why would you have private information that you want secure on a network connected to the internet? Even if it were to be infected, through some idiot with a USB drive, it still wouldn't be able to send out any information.

davidgbailey

Distinguished
Apr 26, 2008
If I sold coffee I'd tell you it helps fight cancer, if I sold nicotine patches I'd tell you they improve your memory and concentration, and if I sold McAffe I'd tell you that if you didn't install it right now you would lose everything you owned to online predators in the next 24 minutes. They just got your due to your browsing of Tom's. You're doomed.

enforcer22

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2006
[citation][nom]tonitelaoag[/nom]if you want the best firewall for your pc or laptop,get zonealarm pro, and for free antivirus you get the avg[/citation]

Yes if you want crap and garbage AVG and ZONEALARM!!!! the two products that normaly get poor reviews when it comes to really extensive testing by any website that i have gone to. AVG and Avast never even make the top 10. unless its top ten "hi im a cheap ass i cant even buy some anti virus" crapware.

Anyways i tried NOD32 64bit after a month it stopped allowing me to run programs other then 64bit and the only solution was to uninstall it that i could find.

After watching websites for a few years i have noticed Bitdeffender has been hitting that #1 spot on almost all of them almost every year. So i got that and havent had any malfunctions thus far. Though its hard to tell if your security is because of such programs since most crap that gets on your computer is user installed either by opening , installing , or clicking yes on something. Its amazing how much would stop if users would just take a few minutes to learn something. Though i never used norton corp the normal end user edition wasnt bad it just didnt rank has high as bitdefender did so yeah ;)

rickpatbrown

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2007
I've been using Vista 64 for about 10 months now without any virus protection. I don't visit dangerous sites and haven't had any problems. That isn't to say that I'm not infected, but I don't seem to have any problems. I download free utilities (RealTemp, Orthos, CPUz, etc.) only from sites that I trust.

I realize that my needs are different than a corporation with millions of dollars in data. There's nothing that a format and reinstall couldn't fix. I usually format and reinstall once a year anyway just to clear up the registry and get the OS working like new again.

Most of these programs aren't native 64bit. As 64bit becomes more and more mainstream, there will be more viruses targeted towards these systems. To bad Microsoft can't just make an OS and browser that is secure.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
All antivirus softwares have their strenghts and weaknesses but none of them will surpass common sense and safe browsing. I'm not saying you should go without an antivirus, but if you're smart enough not to browse suspicious sites or open files you get from unknown senders (honnestly, it's pretty easy to figure out when it's a spam/virus), you can just install a basic free antivirus and you'll be fine.

It's a different scenario for companies and corporations though, where you just can't have enough security.

Status
Not open for further replies.