McDonald's to Offer Electric Vehicle Charging

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
(consider that the Roadster on a 240V/70A charging circuit should need 3.5 hours to go from 0-100%).

this means about 16 800 VA (let's say watts and consider the result a maximum value)

for 3.5 houres, it would cost less than 7$ here... !!? what? 7$ vs 40$ to fill my gaz car?

where's the catch? And a 70A line, this is freaking dangerous.

vincenz0

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
[citation][nom]forensic_scientist[/nom]where do you think this electricity comes from? burning coal? nuclear? ... you might as well just buy a prius, oh wait those do more harm in their manufacturing process than the good they do for their 100,000 mile lifetime... the closest answer is hydrogen in my opinion. this battery stuff is not a truly feasible option.[/citation]

You need electricity to split hydrogene from H20. So it is the same problem in the end.

We can produce "green electricity" thought, with Hydroelectricity.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
The new commercials...

Come to Mc'pukes... we give you two types of gas!

I think it is a good idea, eventually everyone might adopt the idea and you could get a plug in everywhere... Gotta start somewhere.

jerther

Distinguished
May 20, 2009
[citation][nom]vincenz0[/nom]You need electricity to split hydrogene from H20. So it is the same problem in the end.We can produce "green electricity" thought, with Hydroelectricity.[/citation]

not everywhere. Here we can (province of quebec) and there's plenty for everyone and even more.

And even then, not everybody's happy (like in everything). Some complain that it destroys nature and raises mercury level in the created "lake" blablabla...

hell you know what? I've seen groups complain against wind mills! because THEY KILL BIRDS!

There are projects for wind mills near where I live and some people are complaining about the VISUAL POLLUTION they might get.

And this goes on and on. I bet your ass there would be complains about 100% free and perpetual energy.

daft

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Jerther[/nom]not everywhere. Here we can (province of quebec) and there's plenty for everyone and even more.And even then, not everybody's happy (like in everything). Some complain that it destroys nature and raises mercury level in the created "lake" blablabla...hell you know what? I've seen groups complain against wind mills! because THEY KILL BIRDS!There are projects for wind mills near where I live and some people are complaining about the VISUAL POLLUTION they might get.And this goes on and on. I bet your ass there would be complains about 100% free and perpetual energy.[/citation]
and that complaint would be the loss of revenue

Wayoffbase

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]aspireonelover[/nom]but the lightning bolts would be invisible, wouldn't it?[/citation]
enough electricity to power a car would turn your ass to ash if it hit you, and would be a little hard to hide. it is true that 'any significantly advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic' (I forget who said that), but usable, wireless energy is pretty firmly in the realm of magic at this time. Although, since you got me thinking about it, I guess solar power would qualify, but thats got a long way to go still.

JonnyDough

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2007
[citation][nom]FUtomNOreg[/nom]Apparently, they have found an alternate use for the defibrillator.[/citation]

That's because they expect us to bag our own groceries, people still use checks, and people like to argue pricing at the checkout because they can't look for a price tag.

Platypus

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2009
[citation][nom]grieve[/nom]Come to Mc'pukes... we give you two types of gas![/citation]
That definitely made me LOL.

When the "Super Size Me" movie came out, the spokesperson for McDonald's said the movie was foolish and they only recommend you eat McDonald's once per week and that it was perfectly healthy to do so. Going there every day would obviously lead you to become increasingly unhealthy.

And here we are in 2009. Either they no longer believe it to be unhealthy or they think you'll enjoy charging your car there once per week. If you can make it through the other 6 days of the week, chances are you won't be basing your lunch decision on a car recharge bonus.

tester24

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Well, it is a good idea, i mean if you have an electic car and you are low on charge you can charge at mcdonalds and get food, plus Mcdonalds are everywhere like gas stations so you wont be screwed, also if they plan on charging you for the power make it like a parking meter style.

but we are far from having a lot of electric vehicles on the road...

cracklint

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2008
I remember an article in a Weekly Ready when I was in elementary school that told about a car that would run on water; that was in the mid 80's. Where is that technology today? Last I checked water was in abundance with the world being covered in 2/3 of the stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.