Media-Player with LAN streaming and DVB-T recorder

MartinKrucker

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014
Hey there,

I'm looking for a media-player that offers HD-LAN streaming (Computer to TV) and the ability to record DVB-T. An hdd-slot is optional.

I currently own the WD! TV live, which sucks with network connectivity and does not offer DVB-T streaming.

My search so far:
- Fantec 3DS4600 Media-Player: Does not offer DVB-T recording. No HDD-slot
- Asus O!Play TV Pro 3D Media-Player: Seems to have severe firmware and hardware issues. Furthermore the DVB-T stations cannot be sorted manually! Thats a no-go.

Any other recommendations?

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Look at Silicondust.

I am providing the link for the UK DVB-T version.

http://www.silicondust.com/products/hdhomerun/hdhomerun-dt-united-kingdom/

You can stream from it, and you can set up an HTPC as your DVR. The newer versions can stream to Smart TV's via DNLA.

And since you do not have to worry about DRM as we do here in the US you can use it with most DVR software such as Myth, Sage TV, Elgato, etc.

MartinKrucker

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

I'm from Germany, but thank for the heads-up on DRM.

Can this system stream HD-content from network sources to the TV? Does not seem like it?

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Here is how it works. You hook up your DVB antenna to the silicondust unit. The silicondust receives the antenna signal and then puts it into a pool (via its two tuners) on your network.

You then use an HTPC as the DVR and streaming platform. Then you have two options, you can connect the PC directly to the monitor of your choice via its HDMI port. Or you can use an Xbox 360 connected to the PC as an extender to watch your streamed content. The PC streams via Windows Media Center in this config, as it is the only option available for the Xbox.

I think you could also do as I describe above using Plex or XBMC streaming to an android device via DNLA, but that might take a bit more work to get working correctly. Its doable though.

I have the Prime unit that allows me to watch DRM protected cable television via a cable card, and I use the Xbox as an extender to my primary television and another extender for my bedroom PC. If I want to watch a rental film or pay per view I use Xbox video or similar service provided on the Xbox network.

MartinKrucker

Honorable
Jan 15, 2014

Thanks for all your effort!

I'm not that tech savvy and can't understand most of the abbreviations you used ;). I would prefer an all-in-one solution that I could put into my TV rig. Something like the WD! TV live - just better. I dont need the ability to stream TV to any other system than my TV. I dont watch TV that much and prefer to keep it that way ;).

boogalooelectric

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009

I do not believe such a device exists at this time. If one did I would have suggested it.

Oh well, good luck trying to find what you are looking for.