Meet Blekko, the New Internet Search Engine

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
Interesting. The slashtag concept could make it a powerful tool over time. However, I'd be a bit scared of spammers loading the tag base with crap. I don't know, maybe legit users would have the upper hand? I'd be willing to do my share.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
If they can find a way to keep companies from manipulating their social data and messing with the SEO algorithm, then this actually sounds pretty awesome. It could be too complicated for the average user, but I like where its going. If they are successful enough maybe Google will buy them and incorporate some of their features.

Gin Fushicho

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2009
I can see this getting heavily abused, just like everything else on the internet. Here comes 4chan. They will probably tag Goatse as everything. /candy /melons /mountain /eyeball /goatse

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
i'm pretty savvy and it wasn't intuitive enough for me. i wanted to use a /webdesign or /webdev slashtag...but had to create it. But the created one was tied to my username...and that is no good.

then you have to add links to it...to show it what you mean. i dunno...seems like a lot of work. i'd rather scan through a few lame results or refine my word choice.

thanks, though.

G

Blekko is definitely a cool new search engine. The slash tag feature is unique and gives it an edge that people will be interested in. However, I do not think it will ever reach the popularity of Google due to it’s complicated nature. I think Google’s greatest strengths is it’s simplicity; it’s so easy anyone can use it to it’s full potential. Blekko is not like that.

Coming from someone who doesn’t have a lot of time on her hands, having to learn how to use a search engine does not appeal to me when I have Google available. Of course I took the time to learn about Blekko, but I’m in the industry. I don’t think the average person will want to do that.

I’ve done some research and I think the best new search engine is Bweezy. Similar name, but very different from Blekko. Bweezy offers Google results, which I love. It also lets you open search results in the same window as the search, which eliminates the need to open a ton of tabs! I’d check it out if you’re into new search engines.

G

We actually got to meet with Blekko at the SEOMOZ expo in San Jose, CA. We are talking about working with them to develop slash tags with our company http://www.findthatfile.com. Please feel free to contact us info@findthatfile.com

G

For those of you who are purchasing Faucets,we realize that this is one of the most important purchasing decisions you will make. You have made the best choice in choosing one of our Bathroom Sink Faucets,Kitchen Faucets or Shower Faucets, as they are constructed of the highest grade materials to ensure that your new Faucets lasts forever. You can be confident in your purchase as each item comes with a no hassle 30 day return privilege.

Status
Not open for further replies.