Megaupload Staff Arrested for Copyright Infringement

Status
Not open for further replies.

fyasko

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2010
so the FBI is hollywood's goon squad now. why doesn't hollywood embrace the internet instead of fight it? soon media companies will go the way of record companies.

jrharbort

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2009
What's sad is that they're also hurting fair businesses that relied on megaupload's services.

This will not last very long, trust me. Our government is simply digging themselves a deeper grave.

G

The American propaganda has been teaching kids how communism is bad. I think I've just found a worse form of government: the US government.

poxenium

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2009
In theory I have to agree with these actions. In practice however after SOPA is approved and most internet companies will be shut down for sharing 1 copyright infringing file, I doubt the end result will accomplish anything positive in the economy.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I don't think this has nothing to do with SOPA, it was just timely done at the wrong time. couple of weeks ago megaupload had a DNS blackout but yesterday the FBI took it down.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
This really amounts to a mafia war being fought in our courts. Kim Dotcom himself is a questionable character who has already been charged with several money based crimes throughout his life, so the racketeering and laundering charges may in fact apply. However it is clear that the "industry" thugs have a hand in this. He was allowed to live in NZ despite having criminal charges in Europe, but NOW suddenly NZ is willing to hand him to the US.

This isn't about justice, Kim made UMG look foolish when it's artists made a music video for him, which UMG wrongly tried to pull from Youtube despite not having a copyright claim on it. Even if he is an organized criminal, Kim Dotcom is really messing up the backdoor deals that the industry is making.

http://www.theverge.com/2012/1/19/2719560/megaupload-doj-lawsuit

Who's really the organized crime racket here?

Thor

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2004
That is so ironic. There are record companies, film, and the other, though honest to sell that is worth $0.0001 to sell $ 1.00 or more. So 1000 times the value.

But we want to make people believe that sharing is criminal. It is clear that for all the greedy, capitalists, sharing makes no sense.
They want it all and give nothing, nothing to share.

All this makes me vomit. The power of money is infinite. We keep talking about a crisis and it is normal for those who catch the system and steal money are those who hold all the media. It only remained to control the Internet.
This is done now. By pressing a button on the rich will be able to close any site.
The next step is to force all people to receive electronic chips in the body to be sure you know everything about their “state” and where they are.

It took two towers to blow in order to create laws and amendments to one more intrusive than others.
The next step is to blow up a small atomic bomb, and so we will be able to do whatever we want to people. Inclues insert full electronics in their bodies.

IzzyCraft

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ooo[/nom]http://chatimpacto.org/Loic/[/citation]
cute, get yourself charged under CPAA and get a nice little notice by the fbi, good job bring civility.

[citation][nom]ajay_vishvanathan[/nom]sopa isnt passed yet.. and they are behaving like its passed??[/citation]
you're an idiot, the case building against megaupload has been going on for a long time now it's why linking sites uploaders jumped ship from megaupload a long time ago. You act like SOPA and PIPA would make piracy illegal, it's always been illegal the problem of a DA is proving wrong doing in compliance usually with DCMA, in megaupload case i think its 3 counts of copyright infringement, 1 count of racketeering and 1 count of money laundering.

http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/Welcome-to-the-United-States-Department-of-Justice.pdf

not too hard to get information rather then spewing out crap

G

Someone recently made a classic comment on twitter, it read: If I pirate a Michael Jackson song I could get 5 years in prison, one year more than the doctor that killed him...Justice, yeah right! Copyright infringement is being taken way too far. I agree with the comment about the FBI being the media companies goons, it's like they are given super powers just to enforce copyright laws, its all the government lobbyists giving back handers to government officials to back these sorts of laws. Complete BS

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
I'm sure no one would care about MegaUpload or sites alike if movie ticket prices and concession stands weren't so damn ridiculously expensive. Now who is responsible for that one, eh?

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
This is not the way to approach things. What the government should be doing is arresting the people who submitted the uploads. Not those who merely hosted them.

mortsmi7

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
I wonder how they calculate the losses. Just because something was pirated doesn't mean it would have been paid for otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.