Melted my laptop charger. Woops...

unknownphantom707

Prominent
Aug 22, 2017
Hello! about 2 weeks ago i had plugged my laptop in just before going shopping (i was gone for a maximum of 2 hours). When i got home i go to unplug my laptop but the charger wont come out, at this point i thought i completely messed it up, so i unplugged the charger from the wall. It still charges so i still used my laptop normally. Only a few days ago did the charger finally come out. But the yellow tip was melted and burnt. It works just have to be careful, but when i leave it in for a few minutes or less and take it out scared of it melting again, the part that plugs into the laptop is hot enough to easily burn me. The middle part of the charger is still at a normal heat. Should i be worried that my laptop is broken or charger is broken? For extra info i have a Asus Revolutionary Notebook Series. yes i know its 10 years old. I am getting a new laptop in a few days. But this laptop is very very special to me so if theres any way to fix it please let me know. Thank you!

Solution
possible issue is the current controller/battery charge monitor in your laptop maybe faulty? try fully draining the battery and re-charging from 0. CAREFUL here, lithium batterys do NOT like to be discharged fully (think exploding sony battery).

possible issue is the laptop thinks battery inst charged and demands power from the transformer or is unable to determin the charging amps required for your battery ... causing the transformer to draw/put out more than it should. This creates heat.

possible issue is the transformer control chip / (ac /dc board possibly also) on its lasty legs or is damaged. This could make the transfromer convert more than it normally should, which creates heat.

possible issue wall plug fault. depending on...

SoggyTissue

Prominent
Jun 27, 2017
possible issue is the current controller/battery charge monitor in your laptop maybe faulty? try fully draining the battery and re-charging from 0. CAREFUL here, lithium batterys do NOT like to be discharged fully (think exploding sony battery).

possible issue is the laptop thinks battery inst charged and demands power from the transformer or is unable to determin the charging amps required for your battery ... causing the transformer to draw/put out more than it should. This creates heat.

possible issue is the transformer control chip / (ac /dc board possibly also) on its lasty legs or is damaged. This could make the transfromer convert more than it normally should, which creates heat.

possible issue wall plug fault. depending on how ancient your household electric installation is, a fault where the socket itself is shorting or faulty in some manor as to melt your plug leg, supplying transformer with higher than normal amps. usual transformers take 3.5 amps from the socket, and are fitted with 5 amp fuses .... this is stepped down, but if the initial amps are higher than whats expected, the output may also be higher than expected. check your fuse is a 5amp and no internal plug damage.

Solution