Mercedes-Benz Shows myCOMMAND, In-car Internet

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what happens when the computer becomes obsolete? I guess one of the major features becomes useless.

I really dislike that manufacturers keep adding more features to cars with a finite useful life. Stick to stuff to can keep working for a long time.

This among other reasons are why I will never own a new car. Why not just buy one 5-10 years old in great shape for a mere fraction of the price?

cruiseoveride

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2006
Do you buy used or new clothes?
Different strokes for different folks.

Mercedes has had computers in the cars for almost 2 decades now. One usually upgrades the firmware when the technology changes. Do you think the internet will be obsolete in 5-10yrs?

afrobacon

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2008
Seems like a nice car for a road trip; otherwise most of these features seem pointless. I'll stick to a fuel management system for being my highest level of technology in my car for a while.

Although; touch sensitive gauges would be nice, say your of watching RPMs on one gauge and prefer to watch boost instead, just touch the gauge a few times to switch to the appropriate display. Too bad they don't offer that...

G

There seems to be lots of distractions here. While waiting bumper to bumper , you still need to be alert and watching when the rest of the traffic move off! Also hopefully people won't use them whilst driving but there's always the temptation and may cause accidents as people won't be driving carefully. I already have an in built car phone and sat nav. Surely this is enough. Also music is enough to occupy your mind and radio whilst driving! Lyn Fraser.

Status
Not open for further replies.