Mercury: The Luxurious Bullet Train of the Future

Status
Not open for further replies.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
What happens if the train collides with something? If people can barely survive from a 100km/h collision, what is going to happen with a 350???

Arethel

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
[citation][nom]darkguset[/nom]What happens if the train collides with something? If people can barely survive from a 100km/h collision, what is going to happen with a 350???[/citation]

This question is somewhat of a moot argument as this point considering bullet trains are already in existence, and even a dependency in some parts of the world.

G

@Darkguset what the heck does a train collide with: it's on a set track. Something can collide with it if it gets on the tracks, but I can only really think of a car. If you've ever seen a train hit a car, the car is demolished and the train gets scratched paint. The only thing I know that stops a train is heavy winds, which could potentially tip a train over, which is why trains are stopped on days with that much wind.

G

Would be cool to be able to ride that train to from SF to LA in under 2 hrs, spend the day, then ride it back. Oh wait all of CA money is going to illegal immigrants and retarded kids, but one can dream.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
[citation][nom]StopaTrain[/nom]...The only thing I know that stops a train is heavy winds, which could potentially tip a train over, which is why trains are stopped on days with that much wind.[/citation]

And Superman.

omnimodis78

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2008
I hate to complain about such things - but come on, Canada's Bombardier along with Germany's Siemens, Japan's Hitachi, etc., are already building these trains. The interior can be put together as per the client's order. This is not the train of the future at all, it's the "bullet train" of the present.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
The US will never upgrade its rail system anytime in the near future. The mountain of regulations you must overcome is monsterous, and the further regulations will prohibit you from being profitable with a railroad business.

darkguset

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
[citation][nom]StopaTrain[/nom]@Darkguset what the heck does a train collide with: it's on a set track. Something can collide with it if it gets on the tracks, but I can only really think of a car. If you've ever seen a train hit a car, the car is demolished and the train gets scratched paint. The only thing I know that stops a train is heavy winds, which could potentially tip a train over, which is why trains are stopped on days with that much wind.[/citation]

I think you are watching too much TV. In real life when a train suddenly brakes, even if it does not hit something, the passengers will get hurt.

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2010/03/amtrak_passenger_train_collide.html

If it does collide with something, or it derails and hit something (no need to hit something on the fixed track), the higher the speed, the higher the damage.

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It will be nice if the long-dreamed Vancouver-Seattle high-speed rail can use something like this.

That would make me shop in the US a lot more.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Commuter transport is cattle transport. There is no money for an "in-seat entertainment system" or anything like that. It's like the difference between an airline's luxury folder and actually trying to fit your legs somewhere in the actual airplane.

digitalsi

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2007
There is a reason why we don't have any double-decker trains in the UK yet - 99% of the bridges and tunnels on our rail infrastructure were built 100 years ago and are not large enough to accommodate wider or taller trains.

G

This is a non-starter, the tracks in the uUK cannot support high speed trains without extensive re-newal, the Infrastructure is not in place for the added passenger loads and digitalsi got it spot on, errr, 100yr old tunnels and bridges designed in the Steam Locomotion age are not going to allow double decker trains, and replacing these all would bankrupt the country!

80 yrs on and it still takes the same time from London to Edinburgh on the train! ITS A BLOODY MESS!

And the Interior would not work, needs to be vandal proof!

Status
Not open for further replies.