Metal Gear Solid Developer: Consoles Are Dying

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Interpost[/nom]Though I think we are indeed behind where we should be on internet speed and deployment, comparing us to small countries like Romania is laughable. We have how many times the landmass and how many more rural residences?[/citation]

And how much more wealth to put behind it? Instead of bailing out companies with a failing stratigy, and funding wars, how about you put my tax dollars to good use.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
It seems as if everything will be invisible, as we only have to thing it and it will be done. That will be the end of the controller as well.

gtown

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2008
I suppose once real time ray tracing is available the need for different formats will dissipate and perhaps then cloud computing can happen.

So in that regard consoles wont last forever... but they will last another 15 years at least.

soundefx

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
It seems as if everything will be invisible, as we only have to thing it and it will be done. That will be the end of the controller as well.

ColliSions

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2008
as an onlive beta member I think what he says is true, console gaming is fucked in the future. Onlive does have some latency but its barly noticable using a controller, as for the mouse thats a whole nother story. If i was still a kid i would no doubt get onlive over a console, way less money, really decent graphics (720p) instant games, really good interface. Plug and play to the fullest no more buying a new console + controller + accessories ever. It can only get better from here

loomis86

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Sure, consoles will cease to exist someday. Just as someday there will be no differentiation between mac, pc, windows, linux, etc. But this is WAY WAY into the future. Like 25 years or more. I predict the emergence of these little personal projection devices will help to doom consoles.

universalremonster

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2009
I have to agree with those talking of our internet connection being the limiting factor in this. For example, while watching a Blu Ray on my PS3 I can watch in realtime the MB/s gauge, and for instance, Watchmen would sometimes peak around 33MB/s. That gives a rough estimate of what a 1080p video stream could require. So even my Fios 20Mb connection is not even close to that at the moment. The cloud gaming service I have heard of will be streaming in 720p, so a little less bandwidth intensive. I also agree with those saying they enjoy building their own machines with the hardware of their choice. For alot of us that come to this website, we are enthusiasts and hardware/building PC's is our hobby. It's what we enjoy doing. But on the flip side of this, there are many many more people without the budget or knowhow that are sitting at home with a single core/integrated Intel graphics that would love to be able to play what we do and that's who I see this service appealing to. To be able to stream all the new games without ever having to upgrade your hardware for the cost of playing an MMO would definately turn some heads. It will be interesting what comes of this...though I can't say it will ever be in my living room.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
I bet they see this as the only way to "stop piracy".

Too bad they won't get much money from that, as most "pirates" wouldn't buy anything anyway.

PS
"A game designed to sharpen management skills"...

princeofdreams

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2009
There are too many issues for Cloud computing for it to take off any time soon, many of which are discussed here already, internet speed, latency, cost etc.

You only have to look at how restrictive games are when not controlled by local hardware to see the result, take for example MW2 and compare how that plays against MW1, Activision's move to control all the gaming servers has been a huge detraction from the gaming experience offered by MW1

Then there is the cost, look at a subscription based game like WoW, how much that costs you to play, imagine if every game cost you the same? you will end up paying $50 - $100 a month just for subscriptions without owning anything

And I am sure the hardware companies will not be happy, this would put companies like Asus, Nvidia, ATi, Intel etc. out of business, if people never need to upgrade then they have no purpose in life.

It wont take off, gaming is already an expensive business, games would sell much less, for example my kids have an Xbox 360, if they want a game badly at Christmas time, they ask their family for it as a xmas present, and normally they would get it, but no way can they ask their families to take out an on going subscription to play a game

I see cloud computing in much the same way as I see communism, the theory of all being equal is great, the reality is far different and sucks big time...

jednx01

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
I don't think consoles are any more likely to die than PC's are. They both may end up going through major changes, but I think that saying that any of the major systems are dying is stupid.

G

I don't necessarily believe cloud computing is the future of gaming, but I do believe that the future of gaming will be focused on software platforms, like Xbox Live, Steam and Apple Game Center and the hardware will be somewhat ubiquitous....

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
I really hope we dont move to a "Cloud" type gaming. I'm all for downloading games instead of having physical media. Services like STEAM and so on are truly great. But i think we rely on "The internet" far too much and the usefulness of Streaming is far exagerated. Streaming is fine for Youtube, short clips of whatever. But for watching films? No way, i would rather download it in higher quality first. The same with my games. There is no way on this earth that the quality of graphics pumped out to thousands of people at the same time.

I do however think that there is no future for online services like LIVE and PSN. These really need to merge these services. It is annoying, that you can buy a PS3 to play MGS4, but you can't play MW2 with your friend who has an xbox. There is no real reason for this, no technical reason for it at all. This is where it will start I guess and hope.

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
Well the world "most popular" game Farmsville is allready in cloud... So we have a good example to what to wait from future console games...
Hmmm Civilization is going to facebook or in internet, so why not all the rest of the games? Maybe this is behind those thoughs that consoles are dying. When you think what kind of games we are talkin about, it really going to take some time untill we can get rid of consoles. But internet games are really fast getting near Wii type of guality. So some simple games are really going to be internet only. But until we can see xbox360 or PS3 type of games in cloud, it will take a more time. How long have they been predicting that home computers will chance to passive web portals? A very long time and still it has not happened.

oberonqa

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
I think we'll see drastic changes to presentation long before we'll see cloud gaming become a norm. With 3D imaging becoming the mainstream, that is going to be where gaming goes next and possibly where the next generation of consoles go. Cloud computing is a nice idea on paper, but as all the comments here show, it's not going to spell the death of consoles anytime soon. But who can say what the gaming landscape will look like in 25 years? 25 years ago, it was 1985 and console gaming was Super Mario Bros while computer gaming was King's Quest II. I expect similar leaps in gaming 25 years from now... but 25 years is a long time. Kojima talking about "the death of the console as we know it" is a bit far-fetched if the death doesn't occur for another quarter-of-a-century.

stridervm

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2008
If the worlds internet connection is similar to what is in Japan or South Korea right now, I might agree.

But if that is really what companies will push through in the future, that won't be much different than the problems with the DRM in Assassins Creed 2 and C&C 4. And people in third world countries will be totally screwed.

jkay69

Distinguished
May 8, 2006
I think the point Hideo was trying to make was a good one, theoretically there is no physical reasons for platform specific content, the only reason for it is to allow companies to profit from content sales on each individual platform. Why sell one unit when you can sell 3.

Imagine a world where any game would play on any platform.

If you owned a PC, PSP and an Iphone then you could play the same game on each device, with the PC giving the best experience as it's got the best hardware, the iPhone would give a reasonable but limited experience for travelling to and from work and while out and about while the PSP would be great for going on longer journeys and holidays.

As a consumer you would only need to buy the game once online. then simply activate it on the device you needed to run it on and you'd just download and play. When you wanted to switch platforms you'd simply activate it on the new platform and it'd be deactivated on the other platforms and be available to play.

The above exapmle would work if the comanies responsible for producing platforms (Microsoft, Sony, Nintendo, Apple, Nokia, Motorola, etc, etc) didn't introduce proprietry formats into their systems. The reason they do is to stop the above happening and to increase their control of the content on thier respective platforms thereby increasing the profits gained from their platforms.

A couple strong examples are:

Microsoft with Direct X. This was created to make sure that no other PC operating system would be compatable with PC Games, if developers used OpenGL, OpenAL, OpenCL then games could be much more easily ported to Unix or Mac OS.

Apple with no Adobe Flash support, this is to allow them to control the content and profit from each app created for their platform, if they supported Flash then they would very quickly lose control of content on the i series of devices and the apple app store would be all but useless to them, as it stands it's their killer app for all i platforms.

The fact is that for Hideo Kojima's prediction to become true it wouldn't need cloud based anything, simply for proprietry code to be dropped in favour of Open standards. He wasn't quoted as saying Cloud anything, it was latched onto the end of the paragraph as 'by others in the gaming industry'

Cloud has a long and rocky road ahead of it, chicken and egg to the nth degree, I won't switch until bandwidth and lag issues are sorted but ISP's don't feel demand for Low latency high bandwidth connections are strong enough. Add to that the enourmous costs involved in rolling out such a network, unless you're willing to sell your dignity to Google and convince your Mayor to change your town's name to Google's Town for a Decade or two for a free Google Fiber rollout/trial.

I would love to see Hideo Kojima's dream a reality but there are too many industry hard hitters against it right now as the bulk of their profits depend on cross platform incompatability that they will fight hard to resist change to their business models.

Just look at how badly Bluetooth was implemented due to fear of copyright infringment. Bluetooth is a great personal network standard that has been hacked up by so many different platform providers that it's hard to find two devices that can connect to each other in any meaningfull way.

I have the following bluetooth compatible devices: two mobile phones, a wireless Keyboard, a camera, a bluetooth headset, three bluetooth usb dongles.

It's near impossible to get any use from them as the camera can't talk to my phone. my keyboard can only talk to it's specific dongle, if the other dongle's plugged in it interferes, the Keyboard's dongle won't talk to anything except the Keyboard. My phone's can talk to each other but one can't send files to the other but the other one can and even then only certain files and only to certain places on the phone's directory structure. the headset will work on the phone's and the PC but can't be connected to more than one at a time.

The above is deliberately confusing because that sums up bluetooth to me, a confused bastardised standard that should have worked well but currently has little or no value other than specific tasks. This is what happens when companies release products for multiple platforms. There is no hardware specific reason why the Keyboard shouldn't connect to the Phones or the PC, there is no hardware specific reason the Phones can't communicate equally with each other and transfer all user files between them, there is no hardware specific reason that all these devices couldn't connect to each other, the reason is that the manufacturers limit what bluetooth standards they implement to limit cross platform compatibility.

Well that's the end of my little rant, my 2 cent's if you please ;-) lol

JKay6969

Status
Not open for further replies.