Metal Gear Solid Developer: Consoles Are Dying

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Point 1) This will not eliminate piracy. In fact it may just make it worse. The focus of hackers will just shift to fooling whatever type of authentication is required.

Point 2) This will just force games to be reduced to the lowest common denominator. Want to play at super-high resolution with 8x AA and high texture details? Too bad, that is not supported because the bandwidth requirements cannot be justified by the cost.

Point 3) If consoles are going to die, it is because they will morph into a PC of sorts, with swappable components to allow users to upgrade to the hardware quality that they desire or can afford.

dif4us

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2010
These so called guru's need to learn to shut their pie holes...they're inevitable always wrong. "No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer." Bill Gates.

Vampyrbyte

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2009
[citation][nom]dif4us[/nom]These so called guru's need to learn to shut their pie holes...they're inevitable always wrong. "No one will need more than 637 kb of memory for a personal computer." Bill Gates.[/citation]

Thats misquoted. He didnt say that, and lets be honest, even then it was evident memory requirements would increase as time went on. But the point remains, rarely do these guys get it right

rhelme

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2008
Latency is the biggest factor followed very very closely by bandwidth.

I remember seeing a Demo (run on a lan) that use an AMD cloud solution to run GTAIV with fully graphics on a PC that had a horrid graphics card, but enough to play back full 1080p content.

What happened is that cloud worked and all the rendering was done on the "cloud" and he output streamed to the user. This worked find for one user and this one cloud and it actually looked really good. Now imagine how much hardware a hosting company would need to run 7-10 million games a day 24/7 and how much bandwidth would be needed to handle all the data going into and out of this cloud.

NIVIDA or ATI would't be hurting, they would be selling 10 of thousands if not hundreds of thousands of cards to a cloud PC company and yet I bet you still end up in a Q waiting to play what would be considered a mild 3d game by today's standards and as the "cloud" would be bogged down".

It seems people forget that the 3D rendering has to happen somewhere and for it to look good and have all the effects you need todays hardware.....

This idea of doing this all remotely is like taking being an Enterprise software solution provider to a new level, but I just don't see the technology for this for the next 2 decades...

The "cloud" requirements for gaming alone exceed the capacity of any single system built today by a huge factor, and lets not forget that if you have an internet outtage, your SOL.

Though the idea has merit... if I wanted to play GTAIV on my iPhone or Pre it could be downscaled to an interface for that device, but the the issue goes back to one of latency..

Decades away before we have dumb "consoles" that are just a window to a cloud where all the work is done...."

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
[citation][nom]counselmancl[/nom]I see cloud gaming becoming a viable alternative to what we have now, but not replacing it in the near future. If they can pipe all the graphics with low latency then they could charge a monthly access fee for the latest games, but hardware is progressing so fast that they would have to build a game several generations beyond what we have now to entice people, otherwise the would probably prefer to own it and play it at home.[/citation]You speak as though at some point developers and publishers will give us a choice?

Status
Not open for further replies.