Mic headset with a single jack.

Retro420

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
I have spent days looking for a definite answer so am finally posting here.

I recently built a pc (amd fx 6300, gigabyte ga 970a ds3p rev 2 mobo, 8gb ddr3 1600 ram, radeon hd7770 gpu, clean windows 8.1 pro 64 bit install).

I have a turtle beach 30x recon headset with a single jack connector but I can't get the mic to work. I have read about splitters but don't have one. If I plug to the green port I can get sound through the headset but no mic function but if I plug to my pink port I get nothing at all. It doesn't matter which port I use my pc recognises both the headset and the mic but my mic just won't work. I have tried configuring but it didn't help. The windows speech config told me my mic didn't hear anything.

I installed the realtek hd audio manager and it ruined my sound, nothing would play even though the device manager said it was playing and everything was detected fine, so I uninstalled it.

I don't care about sound through my headset, I'm fine using my monitor speakers, but I would like to be able to use the mic in my steam games.

I am tired and frustrated trying to fix this lol, if anyone has any advic3 I would be really grateful.

Thank you.

UPDATE:

If I use the headset on my pre built/pc world windows 8.1 pc the mic does work as people in game are responding to me.

Solution
Seems like either your microphone cord or your mic jack isn't functioning properly. If you use a different mic in the mic slot does it work? If so then try and return the headset, Turtle Beach has good customer service when it comes to that sort of thing.

But if you try with a different mic and it still doesn't work then try and clean it out, you can buy compressed air and shoot it down the jack, or just blow in it, if neither of those work your mic jack is a dud and you should contact whoever sold you the computer, or the component in the computer if it wasn't prebuilt.

Remember, if this solved your problem mark it as the solution so people don't answer this thread once the solution has become apparent. Thanks :)

lejacob

Estimable
Jul 5, 2015
Seems like either your microphone cord or your mic jack isn't functioning properly. If you use a different mic in the mic slot does it work? If so then try and return the headset, Turtle Beach has good customer service when it comes to that sort of thing.

But if you try with a different mic and it still doesn't work then try and clean it out, you can buy compressed air and shoot it down the jack, or just blow in it, if neither of those work your mic jack is a dud and you should contact whoever sold you the computer, or the component in the computer if it wasn't prebuilt.

Remember, if this solved your problem mark it as the solution so people don't answer this thread once the solution has become apparent. Thanks :)

Solution

Retro420

Commendable
Aug 3, 2016
The pc detects the mic when it's plugged in just won't pick up any sound so the ports should be OK. Think you are right and it's probably the mic or the wire. Think I will just step up and buy a 2 jack headset.
Thank you very much for the reply.