Solved! Mic not picking up audio on desktop

Dec 10, 2018
Any idea why the audio would be able to be heard but not picked up by the built in mic?

So for a new desktop that I purchased, I found out the hard way they there are separate ports for audio for the mic and headphones. Seeing as I had earbuds with a built in mic, thatwas a problem so I bought an audio splitter that splits the audio into the mic and headphone ports. I can hear the audio just fine but my desktop doesn't pick up my mic audio. Any idea why the audio would be able to be heard but not picked up by the built in mic?

Solution
you may have bought the wrong splitter for your headphones, could be your mic settings are not set to the defaults for the right input. First thing I would do is check to make sure the splitter works with another computer, if not, return it and try another brand.
you may have bought the wrong splitter for your headphones, could be your mic settings are not set to the defaults for the right input. First thing I would do is check to make sure the splitter works with another computer, if not, return it and try another brand.

Solution
Dec 10, 2018

Uh, well, it is set to the defaults, but I can't tell if the splitter works on another computer because I only have a laptop as well. How would you know if the brand is for the correct thing I'm looking for though? The site that I bought it from has a description that would seem like it would work,

"3.5mm Stereo Audio Y Splitter 1 Jack Female to 2 Male Headphone Adapter Cable

Using this Mic cable you do not need to buy headphone for PC, Mobile Phone headset with microphone can be directly used in your PC or laptop, you can use the microphone to chat on the computer and listening to music!

This adapter allows you to easily connect headphones with microphone with one 3.5mm jack output (for example: mobile phone headphones) to your Laptop or PC.

This flexible stereo y-cable splits an audio signal without a loss of signal quality."

Dec 10, 2018

Any idea on the pole requirements then? I mean I can hear audio and it says that a mic is plugged in.

Try on another computer maybe. Are these Apple earbuds or ones made for Android?