Michael Dell: We WILL Release a Phone

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
What is Dell going to put into this phone? Besides getting custom mobo's that use incompatible PSU pin-outs (be careful buying an aftermarket PSU for your Dell desktop) Dell doesn't design or make any hardware. Meaning a Dell smartphone is just going to be a re-branded reference design.

Heck, HTC is finally realeasing its phones under its own name in the U.S. How many people already owned HTC phones without knowing it? How many people will buy phones from a similar company that does all the hard work, but gets paid to glue a Dell sticker on the front?

Grims

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]hellwig-you took the words out of my mouth.I'm all for competition, but I think there's enough players in the smartphone biz[/citation]

Not the right players though. I want an open platform phone I can do what ever the heck I want with, with out big brother stepping in.

Niva

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]Grims[/nom]Not the right players though. I want an open platform phone I can do what ever the heck I want with, with out big brother stepping in.[/citation]

Nokia got broadsided by the iPhone but it won't be long before they respond with a Symbian alternative touchscreen phone. In the meantime they do offer some excellent smartphones. I agree with your comment though, windows and osx phones are not thrilling to me, don't even know enough about Palm OS but I'm guessing it's proprietary too.

Status
Not open for further replies.