Microphone is enabled but doesn't work (Windows 10)

Noobputer

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I'm in the final stages of building my gaming computer, aside needing a chair not made out of wood with no cushion, and needing a real monitor not a TV without even HD or 60ghz refresh rate, the final thing to complete my nerd cave is a working microphone.

I'm using ASTROS A40 headset with amplifier. It was originally from my Xbox One and uses a standard aux cable to connect the headset to the amplifier which then connects to the computer with an optical cable and USB.

It is plugged into my onboard sound provided by Gigabyte G1 Sniper B7 motherboard and should be sufficient to do the job. The issue I'm having now is that after going into my recording device options in my settings it shows that my mic enabled, set as default, all other mic devices are disabled, and when speaking into my mic it even displays green bars registering that my voice can be heard through the mic.

Issue being my mic does not work with windows 10 voice recognition, cortana, online games, skype, online mic testing websites, etc.. etc..

Please help.

Solution
Google "ASTROS A40 headset pinouts" without the quotes. Might need to vary the combination of search terms.

My thought is that your headset has some proprietary connectivity with respect to the 1/8" (3.5mm) plug.

Look up "TR, TRS, TRRS" as well.

Connections should be standard but are not always so.
Google "ASTROS A40 headset pinouts" without the quotes. Might need to vary the combination of search terms.

My thought is that your headset has some proprietary connectivity with respect to the 1/8" (3.5mm) plug.

Look up "TR, TRS, TRRS" as well.

Connections should be standard but are not always so.

Solution