Microphone Jack not working

Pollarin

Commendable
Oct 21, 2016
Hi, I have a problem on my Dell Inspiron 15r se, and can't find a solution on it online.
It seems like the microphone jack is staying active even though there is nothing plugged in, and therefore, my built-in mic is off, and there's no way for me to communicate.
Is there a way to disable the microphone jack (Headphone and Microphone jacks are separated)
When i plug in a usb headset, there is no problem at all, but i'd like for the built-in mic to work as well.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Have you checked to make sure nothing is stuck in the jack? If there is, even something small, it could keep it 'open' so to speak.

You can also try uninstalling the driver for the microphone, rebooting the computer and, if it doesn't reinstall on its own, reinstalling it after the reboot.

Should the above not work, the following are temporary fixes. As they will only make it work for now, and not allow for them to go back to switching between the internal and external mics.

Next you can try going into "Control Panel", then "Sound". Click on the "Recording" table and then single click the "Microphone" that is the internal one. Do not double click it. Once it is highlighted, right click on it and make it the Default mic. This will allow it to work all the time, even when something is in the mic jack.

If that doesn't do it, try going into "Control Panel", then "Sound". Click on the "Recording" table and then single click the "Microphone" shown for the external mic, as it should show one there, but do not double click. You only want to highlight it. Now right click on it and choose "Disable".

If none of this works, and the device is under warranty, then I would contact he manufacturer about a repair or replacement.