Microphone not picking up sounds

mzankel

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015
So my microphone I bought sounds really great in reviews etc, and has no problem picking up sounds. No fancy software etc its just plug and play. But mine tend to not really register sounds unless I have it all up in my face and often in very poor quality.

For instance, my microphone works okay through TeamSpeak, but cannot pick anything up properly through Skype, even if I boost as much as I can.

What can I do to fix it? Any of the google solutions I've found haven't helped me much.

*Edit: The mic in question is a Zalman ZM-Mic1

Solution

DavidVioMC

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016
In the Tray Bar, you should have a speaker, where you normally control the volume, right click on it and select "Recording Devices", select your Mic and then go into "Levels" and bring up the "Rear Input" higher, should fix your issue.

*edit:
Also consired going into "Custom", in the same tray where you will select "Levels" from and make sure "Microphone Boost" is ticked.

mzankel

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

But what about the quality also being terrible? I'm told I sound muffled or speaking into a tin can. I was worried it was because it was a cheap mic, but in all the reviews it sound fantastic considering the price.

DavidVioMC

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Maybe because the microphone is set so quiet that the sound is muffled? Try bringing it up like I told you so and see if it helps in anyway, you could also select "Listen" next to "Custom" tab and tick "Listen to this device" and click "Apply" and see how you sound.

mzankel

Estimable
Aug 2, 2015

I believe I've actually tried this, but I just did it again. This only leaves me with a horrible static noise, so now I have static noise in a tin can pretty much. :-(

DavidVioMC

Commendable
Apr 25, 2016

Then I belive it's the mic itself, you could try to get re-placment if you can do your money back and buy another one.

Solution