Microphone seems to be working(realtech audio) but does not do anything when I run the camera, or with cortana, help?

Stooge_1

Commendable
Sep 24, 2016
So I have windows 10. Cortana asks me to tell it something, but then tells me she can't hear anything. Any video I took is also soundless. I already tried to do control panel and set up microphone, but it tells me it can't hear anything. Yet, when I open sound recording I see a read out of immediate sound.(realtech high def) Help?

Solution
I have run into this issue a lot.

Unfortunately many laptops now do not work with external microphones. Why manufacturers decided to do that, no idea. Makes no sense, but it seems they though people wouldn't use an external mic on a laptop.

You have two simple, and one complex, options to resolve the problem.

Option 1 ... Get an adapter for the plug of your microphone that will convert it to a USB, and use it that way.

Option 2 ... Purchase a microphone that is already made to be used in a USB.

Option 3 ... Replace the jack, which may well require replacing the motherboard, with a jack that is an actual output/input jack.
I have run into this issue a lot.

Unfortunately many laptops now do not work with external microphones. Why manufacturers decided to do that, no idea. Makes no sense, but it seems they though people wouldn't use an external mic on a laptop.

You have two simple, and one complex, options to resolve the problem.

Option 1 ... Get an adapter for the plug of your microphone that will convert it to a USB, and use it that way.

Option 2 ... Purchase a microphone that is already made to be used in a USB.

Option 3 ... Replace the jack, which may well require replacing the motherboard, with a jack that is an actual output/input jack.

Solution