Microsoft: 1 Out of 14 Downloads is Malware

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
anybody got a hack for IE8 that turns smart screen filter and in private data blocking into a tic box like pop up blocker for internet options so that you don't have to continually keep turning on these features. there is alot of xp users who aren't going to upgrade so long as there is software they need that works with xp. quite frankly i don't blame them for as bad as 7 tries to automatically set it's self up with static ip's in a fixed dsl non pppoe ip like some service providers have.
i miss the manual set up like was last used with win98, some of us actually know what we are doing and can do it faster then the water/bathroom break you have to take that xp-vista-7 requires you to sit and wait forever in a day for and only gets the simple stuff correct.

rpgplayer

Distinguished
May 27, 2010
I don't have this problem at all, I run Win XP through VirtuaBox on Ubuntu 10.10. Even if my VM gets a virus on it, 15 min i'm reset like nothing happened. Dual boot win 7 for games.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Everyone who gets his/her computer infected with malware probably deserves it. I don't think that the most secure OS in the multiverse will stop humans from getting their computer infected, when using the internet. Seriously, there should be a law where people have to pass certain exams to get license to be able to go online. Like a bio authentication or something. Hopfully people will evolve someday, and understand what looks like a suspicious file/attachement, banner, link, e-mail, software/toolbar and so on..

David Rector

Honorable
May 31, 2013
In the few years since all of these smartscreen blog posts have come out, Microsoft has never addressed the fact that users don't download perfectly safe programs because they are labeled as malware. It takes reputation to get downloaded so there is no way to actually get reputation.
It is nearly impossible to convince a user that when Windows say that the app is a potential security threat, that it is safe to download and run.
No one deserves malware no matter how unsavvy they are with technology. But there needs to be a way to get past this malware label for legitimate programs that doesn't involve large sums of cash or hours on the phone convincing every user that the warnings are misleading.

Status
Not open for further replies.