Microsoft Announces SmartGlass for Streaming Media to Xbox

Status
Not open for further replies.

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
I think finally allowing IE on the XBOX will seriously undercut the budget PC market. This has me in a mixed emotional state. On one hand, manufacturers like E-Machines will either have to up their quality/price, or decrease their quality/price even more (if that's even possible) to compete against a $200 xbox. On the other hand, less PC's = more crappy console games...

Dandalf

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2009
I really don't like this integration of Xbox and Desktop PC. Those raging cod nerdkids can stay as far away from me as possible.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I hardly see the point in investing anymore into the 360, this isn't going to make any spike in sales for such a aged console. It also would have been a feature that would have made the next console more alluring to buy.

It is good for the consumer but in a business sense I just don't get what their goal is here.

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I hardly see the point in investing anymore into the 360, this isn't going to make any spike in sales for such a aged console. It also would have been a feature that would have made the next console more alluring to buy.It is good for the consumer but in a business sense I just don't get what their goal is here.[/citation]

Kinect hooks up to an Xbox using one of two different connector technologies: Standard USB and a Microsoft Proprietary Port.

That means that in both cases, Kinect can easily live on well past the Xbox 360, as will HBO Go, Netflix, IE, and Xbox Live.

Don't think of it as Microsoft investing in the 360 but as Microsoft beta-testing integration systems on an established platform. Microsoft, unlike a lot of companies, has a long view of business that's actually rather uncommon. I honestly don't see them simply dumping all the work they've done into these things just because a console generation ended.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Still nice to see that many of the game platforms are starting to tie in with 3rd party platforms. Microsoft with SmartGlass and Sony finally getting PlayStation Mobile (formerly PlayStation Suite) out onto other mobile devices (iOS, Android, etc).

http://www.everygamer.com/

ochentay4

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
I really REALLY hate Microsoft for forcing me the XBOX 360 as an entertainment device.

I bought it for gaming only (several times cause it died too many times) and the latest dashboard sucks at giving me a proper menu for playing/managing my games. I cant stand the latest dashboard (with ads!, its a joke right? I am Gold, no excuse).

The dashboard should have a modular interface to let me choose which crap I want to see. Or a game only mode, I dont know figure it out. I couldnt care less about apps, video, music and ads. I want to see achievements, friends, stats, games, list them, manage them. The download list is the worst I ever saw.

Give me the option to CHOOSE not force me to navigate a dashboard I didnt ask (and do not have the option to turn off).

For everything else I have my PC (which is going to be ruined with my next PC with Windows 8, what a load of crap is Metro).

I cant believe the amount of crap Microsoft is putting up these times. Why they dont listen to its customers like Valve and its platform?

Enough said.

Status
Not open for further replies.