Microsoft Antimalware Programs Vulnerable to Malware

Status
Not open for further replies.

iogbrideau

Estimable
May 28, 2014
I thought it was known, that Windows Defender wasn't a good protection. Even if MSE was better when it came out, is discontinued now as far as I know.

majorlag

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Windows Defender came out on Vista, and for Vista it wasn't very good, since Vista wasn't very good. They changed the name to Security Essentials on Windows 7, although 7 shipped with a copy of Vista's defender installed as well, and in MS infinite wisdom changed it back to Windows Defender on 8.

If you open Security Essentials on Windows 7, or Defender on 8, or Endpoint Protection, they all look the same, because they are the same, with two exception, being Endpoint Protection is used in corporate environments and sends back data to a central managed server for reporting and data collection and Defender 8 not having a notification icon shown unless it detects something.

Excluding Vista's first attempt at windows defender, they run the same definitions.

Christopher1

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2006
I don't understand this..... Windows Defender in Windows 8 is functionally the same as MSE on Windows 7. The article's last line is also nonsense, because malicious programs have disabled Norton, Kaspersky, etc. on tester systems that I have intentionally infected.

Zetto

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
I don't understand this..... Windows Defender in Windows 8 is functionally the same as MSE on Windows 7. The article's last line is also nonsense, because malicious programs have disabled Norton, Kaspersky, etc. on tester systems that I have intentionally infected.

Indeed, never seen anything able to prevent a careless user from compromising themselves, MSE is as good as anything else for the cautious, better than most since it has low overhead.

Status
Not open for further replies.